Is this degree of swelling normal 4 1/2 weeks post-op? (Trim Labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction) (photos)

I had a trim labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction four and a half weeks ago. My labia/hood is still extremely tender and swollen. Is this normal?

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful to treat swelling as well.  Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. 

Labiaplasty And Clitoral Hood Reduction: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon. 

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Swelling is commom after labiaplasty

Hello Myra Leigh,Congratulations on your procedure. I think you'll have nice results. Swelling after Labiaplasty is common and varies depending on numerous factors. It's greater if you've resumed activities too soon. You should be seen by your surgeon if it persists or worsens despite decreasing activities. By six weeks most swelling is gone. Best of luck, 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Amount of POST_OP SWELLING is related to many things, especially SUTURE MATERIAL.

First, your results are looking good and eventually the swelling will subside as the suture material inflammation subsides. Yes, Ibuprofen 600-800 mg (3-4 OTC caplats) taken with food 3X/day for 5 straight days may diminish the inflammation.
BUT-- the amount of inflammation and the length of swelling and the time it takes for all to totally heal and to "...look good," while dependent on the surgeon's skill and meticulous tissue-handling, is directly dependent on the TYPE OF SUTURE MATERIAL that (s)he uses. Many surgeons use "4-0 Vicryl," a braided, somewhat inflammatory, slow dissolving suture. Better, in my opinion, is to use fine 5-0 Monocryl underneath as the support scaffolding, and to use fine 5-0 Vicryl Rapide ( a less reactive and much more rapidly dissolving suture, on or just under the skin for closure. Rapide dissolves in 10-14 days; the "scaffolding sutures" hold thing together, and by 4-6 weeks usually the swelling is totally gone.) (** The larger the suture number, the finer the sutures...) It makes a difference what the surgeon uses..! The Weblink gives you loads of "B&A" phoyos, 90% of which are taken 4-5 weeks after surgery.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Tender and swollen after clitoral hood reduction

Tenderness and swelling improve with anti-inflammatory painkillers and the application of anything cold. Sometimes the suture material irritates as it dissolves. This should improve in a few weeks. The photos show normal healing.

Is this degree of swelling normal 4 1/2 weeks post-op?

Thank you for your question and photos.  At anytime less than three months one would expect swelling especially with the delicate tissues of the labia.  I educate my patients to understand the swelling and challenges associated with surgery and post surgical swelling to help anticipate any concerns of this nature.  Please discuss with your surgeon, but looks like you may be on track.  Be patient.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post surgery

Thank you.  You are nearing the end of your recovery and It does appear that you are healing well and should be happy with your results.I would make sure you follow up with your surgeon

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing pictures. Your results look great for 4 1/2 weeks post. Swelling is completely normal at this stage. Be patient, the swelling should subside within another 2 weeks. Follow up regularly with your surgeon to assure proper healing and post op care. Congratulations on great surgical results!

Is this degree of swelling normal 4 1/2 weeks post-op? (Trim Labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction)

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your surgical results!  Due to the  thin tissues of the labia and clitoral hood it is not uncommon for them to have residual swelling at 4.5 weeks after surgery.  You should see steady improvement on a weekly basis and can help the process with anti-inflammatory medications.  Hope this helps.

Tenderness 4.5 week post labiaplasty

Congrats on your labiaplasty.  I think the results look fantastic!! ( but then again its only your opinion that counts).   Every patient is different and your healing and tenderness is an individual process.  This is not all that unusual.  I would normally recommend ibuprofen 800 mg 3x per day for 10-14 days if you don't have stomach problems or ulcers for my patients.  I would recommend that you don't take my advice but call your surgeons office and get their recommendations. Good luck.
John R Miklos MD Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai