How do you decide which procedure to do to enhance neck/jawline?

How do you decide if a pt just needs some lipo to neck/jaw or if they need a neck or midface lift to improve the appearance of their neck? To get a nice defined jawline and as close to the 90° angle of the neck.

Enhancing Neck and Jawline

Thank you for your question.The three components that you have to consider are:the skin, fat, and deep tissues.Your surgeon will be able to assess whether your skin and deep tissues are intact and there is only localized in which case liposuction would be a good option.Or if there is a lot of laxity in the skin and the deep tissues, that would require more surgical intervention than liposuction alone.I hope this helps.

How do you decide if a pt just needs some lipo to neck/jaw or if they need a neck or midface lift to improve the appearance of t

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Non smiling photos of the face, front and side, help in the evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Which procedure is best for a patient will depend on that patient’s individual concerns.

Which procedure is best for a patient will depend on that patient’s individual concerns. If they have a lot of excess fat under the chin but good skin quality, liposuction is probably all that’s needed to achieve a more sculpted neckline. If there is significant sagging of the skin and underlying SMAS layer, liposuction won’t help, but a neck or facelift would. If a patient has both sagging skin and excess fat, a face or neck lift plus liposuction can be performed for optimal results. This is why a consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon is so important; the patient needs to be evaluated, their goals discussed, and a custom treatment plan decided upon. I hope this helps.

Procedures to enhance the jawline, chin and neck

When evaluating the chin jaw and neck line, it's important to evaluate the projection of the mandible to see whether or not a chin implant is necessary. When evaluating the neck, it's important to evaluate the skin tone in the neck, the amount of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle, and the status of the platysma muscle itself. For many examples of surgical rejuvenation of the neck including necklifts and face/ neck lifts, please see the link and the video below

Sadly, you did not provided photos for evaluation. Therefore, I recommend that you consider consulting with a Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area in order to get the best alternatives to improve your concerns. Depending on the problems, the procedures that can help you will be discussed in details during your consultation.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

How is it decided which procedure to perform to enhance neck/jawline?

Each patient needs to be evaluated to determine the cause of any issue affecting the appearance of the neck.  In general, there can be two main factors.  One would be too much fat under the chin and the other would be sagging skin.  Sometimes a patient will only have one of these issues and sometimes they will have both.  Fat under the chin can be improved with liposuction, Kybella injections, or CoolSculpting.  Excess skin can be addressed with surgery, or to a lesser extent with procedures such as Ultherapy.  Chin augmentation procedures can sometimes also be used to enhance the neck and jawline.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Procedure for neck or jaw

It depends whether your concern is loose skin, or the presence of too much fat.  Liposuction will remove some of the fat, and you may see a modest tightening of the skin.   Loose skin, however, can only be improved with a neck or facelift.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon