Am I crazy to have a breast augmentation with ongoing mysterious cyclical breast pain in one breast?

I have wanted a mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast implants) for years now and am finally able to go through with it...but now I have mysterious breast pain that cannot be figure out? I have had mammograms, ultrasounds, met with doctors and no issue has been found, but I get a very painful swollen left breast for the 2 weeks after I seem to ovulate...it's so annoying and has been going on for 1 year now. Do I avoid implants until I get it resolved?

Mommy makeover

This is something you should discuss with your breast specialist and your plastic surgeon.  If there are no concerns from your surgeons, then the decision is up to you.  Have they looked into fibrocystic changes? They can sometimes cause breast pain at certain points in your cycle.

Mommy make-over - what about my intermittently painful breast?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your doctor assessing your breast function and your plastic surgeon should discuss this.
  • It is possible that an implant under the muscle, well away from the breast, may be all the precaution you need.
  • It sounds as though your pain is hormonal - but may be associated with fibrocystic disease or with obstruction of milk ducts.
  • If you have not had a biopsy of the breast or a lactogram, discuss with your doctor whether this is indicated before any surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS