Should my clitoral hood area be this swollen 11 days post-op? (photos)

I had a labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction 11 days ago. In the first few days following my surgery, I had significant bruising and swelling. Now things seem to be going down, but I am concerned with how large my clitoral hood area looks in proportion to the rest of my vulva. Will things look normal eventually?

Swelling Remains During Labiaplasty Post-Op Period

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months while firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Best of luck to you!

Looks Good!

I've found that whenever I reduce the hood, the swelling lasts the longest. Ice ice baby. That's the best advice I have for my patients. And elevate as much as possible. Things look like they're healing great. Nice work selecting your surgeon. You should let people know where they can find a safe labiaplasty surgeon in MN.

In labiaplasty and hood reduction, the hood stays swollen the longest.

Because of the different type of "tissue planes" in the mid/central clitoral hood, this area stays swollen the longest. Your surgical area and aesthetic results look good. It will take another month for the hood swelling to fully resolve.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Swelling clitorial hood

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to have swelling in this area after the surgery at this time of healing period. Please follow the instructions from your Surgeon, it will come down in the coming few weeks.

Clitoral Hood Swelling

It is not unusual for the clitoral region to remain swollen for a few weeks after a hood reduction.  It can take a few months in some patients.  From your pictures, everything looks to be normal in the healing process.  Just be patient and it will take care of itself.  I hope this helps. 

Should my clitoral hood area be this swollen 11 days post-op?

Thank you for your question and photographs. Because of the thin tissues of the labia minora and clitoral hood they have a tendency towards significant swelling and your current result appears appropriate for 11 days after surgery.  I know waiting is difficult but allow yourself 4-5 more weeks to see improvement, but in the meantime remember you can use pelvic elevation to assist with your swelling and you may want to consider oral arnica montana and/or bromelain supplements to speed resolution.  Best wishes.

Clitoral Hood Swelling

Dear ML:
Thank you for the questions and photos.  Please don't be alarmed as the swelling may not go down for weeks. this is absolutely normal and with the most certainty it will return to its normal size over the next several weeks.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai