Body Building & Recovery

I am going to get Gynecomastia excision (1.5 hrs) and a mini-tummy tuck (1.5hrs) the recovery time I've heard is about 4-5 weeks. I have a event coming up about 6 months later I have to be in tip-top shape for. How soon can I start lifting heavy again and will I lose a lot of muscle mass in that amount of recovery time?

Your timing is ideal

You should be ready to start full exercise at three weeks from either procedure,  the latest  being five to six weeks. 

In the beginning, we recommend doing light, normal activity and taking it easy. Listen to your body. Don't do activities that cause pain in the immediate postoperative course during the first few weeks.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi UnicornRme,

Thank you for posting.  The fact that you are combining the surgeries is helpful in that you will only have one down time. That being said, there is no set amount of time that activity is restricted. If you were to ask 10 plastic surgeons, you may get 10 different answers as to how long they recommend their patients to be restricted from exercise.  My recommendation is to ask your plastic surgeon and follow their instructions.  The key is to watch your diet during your recovery.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Weightlifting after gynecomastia excision.

I permit my patients full athletic activity as soon as they feel comfortable after gynecomastia treatment. This is usually about 7 to 10 days but varies on the magnitude of the operation.

Resuming Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Perhaps, this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous #workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing.