What is the Minimum Duration Reported for Fillers and Botox?

I have had lip injections (twice) with beautiful initial results. However within two weeks, my lips were back to their normal size with the visible filler above and below the lips. I also had Botox in my forhead and around my mouth with filler added to my cheeks. The initial outcome was fabulous. These proceedures were done in November '10 and now February '11, I can move my forehead and all wrinkles are visiable and my lovely cheeks are no more.

Botox and filler duration

Thank you for your question. Botox can be used to soften the appearance of lines and wrinkles that deepen with expression. These include the horizontal lines of the forehead, the frown lines between brows and the smile lines (crows feet) on the sides of the eyes. They typically last 3-4 months. Fillers on the other hand is very effective at filling in the lines or shadows when you are not expressing yourself. They can also be used to shape and lift the face and can last anywhere from 6 months to a couple years. I would recommend that you visit with at board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area to discuss your treatment options so they can be tailored to your concerns and goals.

Duration of Botox and Fillers

Generally speaking, the hyaluronic acid fillers last 6-12 months, although areas of the face that move a great deal (e.g. lips), the duration can be 2-6 months, but some people are outside the average range. Botox generally lasts 3-4 months, and like fillers, over time appears to last a bit longer. Other fillers such as Radiesse can last longer, but because they are injected deep, are not to be used in the lips. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers Duration

Botox typically lasts 3 - 4 months.  Juvederm typically lasts 6 - 9 months. In some patients, the product needs to be injected in the lips every 3 months to maintain a preferred look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox has a duration of several months

Botox has a duration of several months however the response is dose dependent, which means that some patients get a result with a low Botox dose while others require a higher dose to obtain the same result.  The level of muscle relaxation also varies with Botox and if your muscles were not fully relaxed, your movement may have been seen as the Botox wearing off prematurely.  I like to do a complete Botox treatment followed by a full second treatment at one month.  This typically gets good results and patients then come for re-treatments at 4-6 month intervals.

As far as Cheek Augmentation with fillers, I prefer using Perlane that lasts 8-9 months or Radiesse that can last up to 1 year.  Thinner fillers like Restylane and Juvederm do not seem to last as long IMHO.

Duration of Botox and Fillers

Botox and Dysport typically last about 3-4 months.  Many patients will notice the effects lasting longer after repeated injections.  Lips fillers, such as Restylane and Juvederm, can last up 9 months or a year but most patients state they notice the volume in the lip waning between 3 to 6 months.  In your case, the dramatic decline in volume very early was likely due to the swelling subsiding.  Fillers in the cheeks typically last longer than in the lips regardless of which filler you place there because of less motion that is going on there.  The duration of the filler is very variable, mainly it depends on which filler you use.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Duration of Botox and fillers

Botox usually lasts 3-4 months.  Fillers have a range.  Here are the approximate numbers:

Restylane 9 months

Juvederm 12 months

Radiesse 12 months

Sculptra 24 months

In people who perform strenuous exercises and in smokers the hyaluronic acid fillers and botox last significantly less.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How long do Botox and Fillers work?

Botox usually lasts 3 to 4 months depending on the patient. Some may get longer lasting results and some shorter. Fillers are usually good for a minimum of 6 months and can last up to a year depending on the product. Every body is different so everybody can potentially get slightly different results from these products.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The duration of effects from fillers and botox differes with the area treated

The duration of effects from fillers and botox differes with the area treated. Fillers last longer in the upper half of the face and botox lasts longer in the bottom half of the face.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Longevity of Botox and fillers

The timing of loss of Botox effect is about 3 to 4 months, so your results are in line with typical expectations.  However, the initial filler treatment (hyaluronic acid presumably) should last at least 6 months, so it is probably still present.  The initial lip fullness has no doubt diminished as swelling has subsided.  However, subsequent filler treatments should last longer, as your body gradually builds up it's own collagen tissue in the treated areas. 

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Filler around the lips can last 3-6 months or even longer

Filler around the lips can last 3-6 months or even longer. After multiple injections, it really depends. Sometimes, if not enough filler is used, it will seem like it goes away pretty quickly. BOTOX usually lasts 3-4 months.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon