Minimal Incision Arm Lift?

Had this done last Thursday. 200cc of fat removed from each arm and scar is in arm pit. They are no smaller at all - is that normal for week later? Was also surprised that scar is very visible from behind- comes quite far out of arm pit on back side. Is that typical? I thought it would just be in my arm pit and not visible when arms are down.

Concerns after Arm Lifting?

Thank you for the question, but it is difficult to give you good advice without viewing before and after pictures. At this point, I would suggest that you give yourself 3 to 6 month before evaluating the results of the procedure performed.

Minimal Incision Arm Lift

Although you're unhappy with your result following mini arm lift surgery, your result may improve with the passage of time. It's important to realize that wound healing is a dynamic process that continues for 12 to 18 months following surgery. During this time, wound healing continues, swelling resolves and scars soften and lose their redness.

Furthermore, it's impossible to evaluate your result without pictures or a physical examination. For this reason, it's appropriate to consult your surgeon. In the vast majority of cases, revisional surgery isn't indicated in the immediate post-operative period. Under these circumstances, it's important to be patient and give your wound a chance to heal. If no improvement has occurred after adequate healing, you may be a candidate for arm lift revision.

Minimal Incision Arm Lift

Impossible to give you a useful response without seeing before and after photos. Please consider adding some. At one week it is not unusual for swelling to overwhelm the improvement. Patience.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Size of Arms after Arm Lift

At one week after surgery, your arms may appear the same size as before surgery.  However, you should realize that swelling is near maximal at this point, and you will only improve at this point.  As far as the length of the scar, scar placement decisions are frequently made on your anatomy.  Without seeing pictures pre and postop, this would be difficult to ascertain.  However, sometimes the scar can be brought out if addressing additional skin redundancy that cannot be removed from the conventional armpit incision. 

Minimal Incision Arm Lift Results

Without before and after photos it is difficult to assess the results of your minimal incision arm lift.  It can take months to realize the final contour of your arms since the skin often needs time to retract.  Compression garments are often helpful to promote this process and decrease the swelling that may occur.  This procedure usually works best on patients that have minimal excess skin and fat.  The advantage is that the scars are typically concealed within the underarms.  I would strongly recommend you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.    

Mark Schwartz, MD