I am considering a mini tummy tuck with liposuction to the upper and lower abdomen?

I just wanted to know if anyone has recieved this specific surgery also what are the Doctors opinion on it? I did not come across anyone with this particular surgery. Does this require work with the belly button? Also what is the estimated recovery time? Thank you.

Mini tummy tuck with liposuction

It is natural for any patient to want a less invasive procedure - a mini- rather than a more extensive procedure.   Unfortunately most patients seeking improvement in their abdominal wall contour will achieve a better result with a full tummy tuck as it  allows greater removal of excess skin, tightening of the remaining skin as well as tightening of the abdominal muscles.   If you have only excess skin between your belly button and your pubic area, then a mini tummy tuck is possible with a good result.   Following this with extensive liposuction above the belly button can result in additional laxity of this skin so your surgeon needs to be very selective about the degree of fat removal.   You will only know for certain your best options by consulting a board certified plastic surgeon who will perform a full physical exam of your abdomen.   

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question.

99.9% of clients looking for a mini tummy tuck are way better candidates for a full tummy tuck combined with Lipo in all areas needed, if you would like a more detailed responds from our platform of PS it is wise to attach some photos.

Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thank you for the question. Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. You may wish to post photographs with your next question for more specific advice. 

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Mini Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question.  Although the combination of procedures is technically possible, it may not be what you need for an optimal outcome.  In fact, it is not a typical combination.  Without photos, it is not possible to render any kind of opinion for your specific case.  I suggest you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options and learn what procedure(s) would be best to meet your goals.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Mini tummy tuck often includes liposuction to the upper abdomen

A mini tummy tuck can include liposuction to the upper abdomen if the skin tone in the upper abdomen is good. It may of course be looser after fat reduction so the plan has to consider that.

Richard Baxter, MD