Will 3 weeks be enough recovery time after mini-tuck and possible breast augmentation to go on short trip to Mexico?

Is it realistic that I will be recovered enough to enjoy vacation? I am almost 42 years old, have a normal BMI and workout regularly, and have no chronic health problems. I am a certified nurse midwife, so I am somewhat concerned about returning to delivering babies after breast augmentation. What is your recommended recovery time for someone with a job such as mine? Thanks!

3 Weeks Recovery

Dear CoffeeAddict,

I think you are asking two separate questions, and I will address them individually. I do believe that it is possible you may enjoy your vacation 3 weeks following your contemplated procedure.

But, it is also possible that you will wish you didn't limit your vacation by not being able to lift your suitcase, or possibly having a wound healing problem that requires dressings under your “tropical attire”. Even worse, you may have to cancel your trip because of unexpected complications. (If you do decide to go, trip cancellation insurance would be a wise purchase.)

The second part of your question… returning to your nurse midwife position. You should usually wait 6 weeks. Whatever you decide, good luck with your surgery!

A. Michael Sadove, MD

Plan your cosmetic surgery after your trip to Mexico....

While everyone wants to look their best on vacation, it would be wise to postpone your surgery until after your vacation. You would not want to be on vacation out of the country and have a medical complication. An important aspect in the decision making process for cosmetic surgery is allowing enough time off to recover. 

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. I think you will be ready to go back to work at 3 weeks. You're a nurse and understand that strenuous activity could affect your healing. I would avoid heavy lifting for the first 4 to 6 weeks. An augmentation and mini tummy tuck should not be too difficult of a recovery for a young health person as yourself. Now the trip outside the country at 3 weeks is a little risky. I would wait a few more weeks to travel. You don't want to be that far from home if you get any issues. Good luck!

Rami Ghurani, MD

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

Breast augmentation and Tummy tuck are major procedures that require adequate recovery.  Your job is physically demanding. I would recommend 6 weeks off of work to allow complete recovery.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Wait 4-6 weeks after mommy makeover to travel to Mexico

You may be able to return to midwife duties  3-4 weeks after a combination breast augmentation and tummy tuck.  However my recommendation would be to wait 6 weeks before an active vacation to Mexico

Recovery time after mommy makeover

Thanks for sharing your question.

Recovery after a mommy makeover depends on the different types of procedures being performed.

In your case if it involves a mini-tummy tuck and breast augmentation it is reasonable to assume you will be doing well and back to work in short order.  I do advise that you avoid heavy lifting for at least 2-3 weeks to avoid any wound healing issues.  

With travel, I agree with the other posts that you should wait 3-4 weeks to make sure you are well healed.

Hope this helps.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after mommy makeover

I'm a bit concerned that you are planning a Mexico vacation trip just 3 weeks after your surgery.  Most of my breast augmentation and mini-tummy tuck patients are comfortable to go back to a desk job within a week after surgery.   However, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  Your job as a L&D RN involves strenuous activity. I would recommend you take 2 weeks off if possible.  As per your vacation, I'd plan it to be beyond 4 weeks from the date of your surgery so you can look and feel your best and fully enjoy your trip.

Recovery time after a mommy makeover

After a mommy makeover most patients are comfortable enough to return to work in 10 days.  I would try to allow for four weeks before an international vacation if at all possible.  Good luck.

Traveling Weeks After a Mommy Makeover

Most patients are good to #travel 4 weeks after a #MommyMakeover. You should ask your plastic surgeon for specific advice per your procedure. Additionally, I would suggest you wear #TED #hose and also make a point to move about on the aircraft when feasible to prevent DVT.

Three weeks after mommy makeover a vacation should be possible.

With in uncomplicated convalescence you should be able to travel in three weeks after the surgery you describe. Permission of course will need to be granted by your own surgeon.