Mini TT & Lipo Seroma. Can I Get it Aspirated By Any Doctor?

Hello, I had a Mini TT & a lipo a few weeks ago. I love the results but I think I have developed a Seroma. The surgery was performed outside of the country and I wanted to know if I had to get the Seroma aspirated can I go to any doctor? It just seemed to develop over the last two days.

Doctor Answers 5

Plastic Surgeon Best Suited to treat Seroma

Although any surgeon can take care of a seroma including aspiration, you would be in the best hands by consulting a board certified plastic surgeon.
You are lucky that this was your only problem as when you leave the country of your surgery, your surgeon who is the best person to follow you is not available. This is one of the scary thinks about medical tourism.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Who Should Treat My Seroma?

The diagnosis and treatment of abdominal seroma after a tummy tuck is best done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Unfortunately, we all had the experience of getting these seromas from time to time, and we are the world's experts at dealing with them.  Some seromas require one aspiration, some multiple aspirations, some requiring an indwelling catherer or injection of an irritant to help close off the walls of a seroma cavity.  Seromas are a rich cultural media and easily infected if not handled correctly.  All in all, the treatment of seromas is not as easy as it might appear.  I highly recommend you go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and get it treated correctly.

Mini TT & Lipo Seroma. Can I Get it Aspirated By Any Doctor?

There is no reason why any physician couldn't aspirate a seroma. Most who do not do this regularly will understandably not want to do this. Plastic surgeons deal with seromas quite frequently.

Many patients who go out of the country for surgery don't consider in advance the possibility of complications, and the difficulty of finding someone who will be willing to care for those problems. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Seroma Aspiration by Any Doctor?

You will be best off seeking consultation with a  reputable board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  It is likely that you will find that most  non-plastic surgeons will not feel comfortable treating the seroma;  most plastic surgeons  deal with these fluid  collections on a routine basis.

Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

Follow up Mini Tummy Tuck

I would recommend seeing a local board certified plastic surgeon to have the area examined. Plastic surgeons have experience in treating complications like this as it isn't uncommon after a tummy tuck and liposuction.

Leo Lapuerta, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.