29 Year Old Male: Mini vs Standard Tummy Tuck?

What do you think? Three times in my life (I'm 29, male) I lost and gained weight, every time for more than 30 kg. The result; look at the pictures. Do I need a mini or a standard tummy tuck? Ps. From 2 years I'm going to the fitness. Thanks

29 Year Old Male: Mini vs Standard Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A #drainless tummy tuck with or without #liposuction may be something to consider. Over the years, surgeons have improved procedures and found ways to eliminate the need for #drains commonly used in a #tummy #tuck or #abdominoplasty, and a variety of other operations. I have found that most of my patients do very well with the exception of those have large areas of #liposuction or lipo-abdominoplasty. Any extra fluid may be reabsorbed back into the body without the use of drains.  I may use drains on a case by case basis for these patients. If you go to a plastic #surgeon who uses drains, or if your situation requires drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. The use of tissue #glue is to adhere the abdominal #skin to the #muscle. It is a new option and alternative to sutures in a tummy tuck. 

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. #Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery for at least six months.
Begin with an in-person, one-on-one consultation to determine if you are an ideal #candidate and which technique is best for you. Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #Plastic Surgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery.

Full tummy tuck candidate

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have lower belly looseness then you could get a tummy tuck where just the lower section fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. In weight loss patients the answer is usually a tummy tuck. But n exam is needed. Good luck!

Standard vs mini tummy tuck for a man

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It's difficult to completely assess your abdomen based on that photo.  If your only concern is loose skin below your belly button, then you may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. However, most people who lose a significant amount of weight will need a full tummy tuck if they want to achieve the flattest, tightest abdomen possible.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Tummy tuck Surgery

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini or full tummy tuck

Without an exam it is difficult to tell what would be best for you. You  may just need a mini tummy tuck to remove excess skin from below or a full if there is alot of laxity above the umbilicus.

Re: Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

The choice of either a mini tummy tuck or full depends on what you are ultimately trying to achieve through surgery and whether the laxity is both above and below the umbilicus or concentrated within the area below the umbilicus. With a modified abdominoplasty you can still take out a significant amount of skin as long as you maintain an umbilicus to pubis distance of roughly 12.0cm – 13.0cm, so keep that in mind when making your final decision. 

If you are satisfied with the quality of the skin tightness in your upper abdomen, then a modified abdominoplasty - which would free up some of the tissue above the umbilicus but keep the umbilical stalk in place - would be adequate. If on the other hand there is significant laxity above the umbilicus, then you would require a full tummy tuck to achieve a totally flat appearance. 

Tummy Tuck is an Excellent option after large weight loss

Hi there-

Because of the large amount of weight you have lost, and the significant amount of skin in excess, and just as importantly, because of the poor quality of the remaining skin, you would be best served with an abdominoplasty (full tummy tuck).

Good luck!

Mini or full?

Basically if you have extra skin above your belly button combined with laxity of the abdominal wall a full abdominoplasty would tend to give you a better result with the downside of an umbilical scar.  A mini abdominoplasty is best for removing a limited amount of skin below the belly button and some lower abdominal tightening but due to the fact that the belly button is not released, the amount of skin removed is limited.  Clearly this would be best assessed on physical exam but looking at your picture it looks like you have enough extra skin to warrant a full abdominoplasty procedure.

Leslie D. Kerluke, MD (retired)
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Mini versus full tummy tuck

It appears as though you may just need a mini tummy tuck to remove the excess skin your are holding in the photo.  However, it's hard to tell you exactly how long the incision will be without actually examining you.  Make sure you get a good understanding as to the difference between the two operations.  A full tummy tuck will remove much more skin if you have enough, but with a much longer scar.  A mini tummy tuck won't remove as much skin, but the scar is much shorter.  Either way, good luck!

Full or mini tummy tuck

Judging from the skin laxity in the picture, you would benefit from a full "skin" tummy tuck. Depending on the condition of the muscle, you may not need a diastasis repair. Try core strenghtening prior to surgery .