Should I get a mini lift and/or a neck lift? (photo)

Hi, I am 45 with very loose jowls and neckline. Would I need a neck lift or mini lift to get rid of excess skin? Also have loose hanging skin on eyelids, would I be best to get this sorted in same operation? Thanks, Hazel

Facelift or necklift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would benefit from a facelift operation  whether it is called a mini lift, a neck lift, or any other catchy name. A well done facelift would correct the sagging cheeks, jowls and neck. You also could have eyelid surgery done in the same session.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a mini lift and/or a neck lift?

A mini-lift would be adequate to tighten your jawline but would be unlikely to give you the improvement you are likely looking for in your neck. A face and necklift with platysmaplasty is typically the best option. Don't let the jargon and terminology become confusing. An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to tell you what will work best for you regardless of the terminology. The bottom line is that a mini-lift, by itself, will really only rejuvenate the jawline leading to disappointment in your neck area. Plus, the downtime from a "real" facelift is not much longer than that of a mini-lift.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would you benefit from a facelift?

Based on your photos, you would benefit from a face/neck lift. You have excess skin in your neck and around your jowls/cheeks. The approach of the procedure would depend on your surgeons preference. I am not sure if there is a clear definition of exactly what a 'mini' lift is (please refer to prior posts), but you need a procedure that will address both your neck laxity and your jowls sufficiently to give you long lasting results. If your neck is not addressed, I suspect your neck profile will not be adequately lifted. 
Addressing all your concerns in a single procedure setting is ideal as you can recover from all the procedures at the same time, as opposed to undergoing a recovery period of 7-10 days after every procedure. So if your eyelids are also bothering you, is would make sense to have that treated at the same time. I routinely perform multiple procedures on my patients in one sitting (face/neck, eyelids, fat transfer, laser, in any combination) for this reason. Good luck!

Should I Get a Mini Lift and/or Neck Lift? Mini Lift With Neck Lift Best Option for Hanging Skin

Although you are just 45, you have a significant degree of loose and hanging skin, which is probably due to genetics. While nonsurgicial tightening procedures might give you a slight improvement, I don't think you would find them at all satisfactory and they would not last long.

The best way to resolve your lower face sagging is with a Mini Lift, neck lift and plastysmaplasty. These procedures will resolve your jowls and lower-face sagging and also tighten your neck muscles and remove the loose skin. I almost always include a neck lift and plastysmaplasty as part of the Mini Lift procedure, but every facial plastic surgeon is different. You could probably also benefit from laser resurfacing and filler on your nasolabial folds. A Mini Lift with neck lift should last about 8 to 10 years. I hope this helps.

About Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. The LiteLift™ is an innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself which benefits many male patients. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.
The technique requires limited incisions and takes a vertical lifting approach, in contrast to the traditional facelift, which requires extensive incisions and lifts or pulls the face towards the ears horizontally. The modern techniques used allow us to perform most LiteLift® procedures in the office under local anesthesia. Also, removing the risk of general anesthesia opens the door for more people to pursue facial surgery. All too often people do not move forward with undergoing the desires facelift surgery due to their overwhelming fear of the risks associated with general anesthesia.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient.

Neck Lift or Mini Lift?

An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck and lower face appearance.
There are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated to determine which procedure is best for you.

1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection
The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Should I get a mini lift

Dear hazel, thank you for your question. A mini facelift can improve the jawline and neck , and in some cases the cheeks. Our La Jolla Lift procedure is performed with gentle twilight sedation. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your best option is. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a mini lift and or neck lift?

A mini lift is a lower face lift that will improve your jawline and soften some of the jowling. It is often done in combination with a neck lift to improve the contour of the neck. Based on your photographs, you could benefit from both procedures.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery | Mini Lift at the Same Time

Yes, you would likely enjoy the benefits of a younger appearance with eyelid surgery and a neck lift which can be done at the same time.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

Facelift- Mini-Lift vs. traditional approach

Thanks for sharing your question and photos.  Most younger women such as yourself are great candidates for short scar or "mini-lift" type of procedures, but there is a lot of terms used by different groups for the purpose of marketing.  What is important is getting the right operation for your areas of concern.  The decision of what needs to be done with the neck is most important based on your photos. On exam it would be important to determine the degree of loose skin and fat tissue vs. muscle separation.  It would also be helpful to know what your neck looks like on animation and flexing.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that is knowledgable about face and neck lift surgery.  You may require more than a "mini-lift" but this is hard to say for sure without an exam.