A Mini or Full TT with Photos? (photo)

I put my info in my last question but I will sum it up now. -19 with a 10 month old daughter -I DO NOT want more kids -I was stretch marks that I would like to get rid of some/most of them. All below BB for the most part. I have the following pictures. The only thing I am really unhappy about is the leaning picture where the skin just hangs. I was hoping for a mini TT because I want the least amount of downtime with good results. I was also wondering the average of a TT from a quality doctor.

Mini Tummy Tuck?

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who have had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Full tummy tuck

Thanks for your photo and question. Mini-tummy tuck is not the right surgery for you, if you have a full tummy tuck more skin can be removed as well as stretch marks. You can also get your abdominal muscle repaired at the same time and the Brazilian butt lift will help to make you look better. You should have all your babies before doing this. Best wishes!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

A Mini or Full TT with Photos?

The posted photos are very under exposed so very hard to see. My guess is a mini TT will remove half the stretch marks only vs a full will remove 80%. Downtime in mini TT 1 week in full TT 3 weeks. Fees mini from $4,000 vs full TT from $7,000. 

Mini v. full tummy tuck

Unfortunately, the photos are dark and not of good quality.  You should be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss your options.  A mini-tuck will not remove any bulging above the umbilicus and is appropriate for only a small percentage of the surgical population.Best of luck.

A Mini or Full TT with Photos?

The photos are a bit dark to make the kind of judgement you are asking. 

From the looks of the photos, you would certainly have a better outcome from a full TT.

The laxity of the abdominal wall extends above the navel, and it looks like there is hanging skin above the navel on the middle photo. 

The down time is not much different between the alternatives. The incision is the same, except for adding the incision around the navel. The muscle repair goes a few inches higher, adding perhaps some but not much more discomfort. Return to full activity should be no different between the two. It depends on wound healing which works at the same pace for either procedure. 

Photos are helpful, but no substitute for an in person consultation. The feel of the skin and its laxity are all determinants of the choice of the best procedure, and those don't show up on photos!

All the best. 

Full or mini TT

Dear Michiganian,

Thank you for submitting your pictures. From looking at your pictures , it appears that your skin an muscle laxity goes from the chest bone to the pubic bone. Only full tummy tuck will correct that condition and give you a flat tummy with narrower waist. A mini tummy tuck will correct your hanging skin , remove or improve your strech marks and flatten your lower abdomen. The problem is that whenever you will bend, you'll get a bulge in your upper abdomen and that will occure also when you eat and fill up your stomach. You said that you want 'good result' . In that case , you realy can't compromise. With full tummy tuck , it is also highly likely that you willl lose weight due to the full length of muscle tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your hunger. You will benefit from looking good and being healthier.  Make sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr Widder

Mini versus Full Tummy Tuck

Your pictures are sort of dark, so it is hard to fully evaluate your skin, but from what I can see, it appears that you would benefit from a full tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck addresses two issues:  

1)  Extra Skin & Fat

2)  Separation of the Muscles (Diastasis Recti)

The roundness or fullness of a patient's abdomen is not just due to the extra skin.  In the majority of cases, it is also due to the separation of the muscles causing a roundness of the belly, as the muscles are not efficiently holding in the abdominal contents.  

A Mini tummy tuck is only going to remove half the extra skin and fat between your belly button and your pubic area (and perhaps some lipo at the same time above your belly button.  However, it will not address the separation of the muscles.  

As much as patients may think that their muscles are not separated, it is extraordinarily rare for the muscle to be intact - especially after having even one child.

While, no one can give you specific advice without seeing you in person, my advice is that if you want a mini result, then have a mini tummy tuck.  If you are looking to maximize your results, then have a full tummy tuck.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Choosing Between Mini and Full Tummy Tuck

The answer to your question depends on the goals you want to achieve, the size of the scar you are willing to accept, and the amount of surgery you want to have.

A full tummy tuck removes most of the skin between the top of you belly button and the area just above the pubic bone.  It also tightens the muscles and with a little liposuction can greatly improve the contour of your flanks and abdomen.  It is a dramatic change - but it requires a longer scar and does have a several week recovery.

A mini tummy tuck only removes a small amount of skin above the pubic bone and can only tighten the muscles below the belly button.  It is ideal for a small lower abdominal bulge but does not give a very dramatic effect.

Regarding price - the American Society of Plastic Surgeons lists the national average surgeons fee for a tummy tuck in 2012 as $5,241.  The amount does vary greatly by region and does not include operating room time and anesthesia.

I would suggest that you find a board certified plastic surgeon nearby and go for a consultation.  Most surgeons either do not charge or have only a minimal fee for a consultation.  Good luck to you!

Al Rosenthal, MD
Lawrenceville Plastic Surgeon

A Mini or Full TT with Photos?

The tummy tuck would likely give a flatter tummy and remove more stretchmarks than would the minitummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA