Mini Arm Lift Scar and Fraxel for Scar Treatment?

Hi, I'm considering doing a mini arm lift (just under the arm pit). However, I'm terrified of the scar (even though my scars heal well). I would only do the surgery if I can have a strong scar treatment procedure done to eliminate most of the scarring. I heard Fraxel is good for that. What is the best treatment out there for surgical scar removal?

Mini Arm Lift Scars

It's not unusual for patients to be concerned about scarring following arm lift surgery. The scars following this procedure are potentially long and are not easily hidden. Unfortunately, there's no way to totally remove these scars following surgery.

In an effort to minimize scarring, a variety of maneuvers have been utilized. These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure, examples include steristrips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support garments.

Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been shown to be helpful, as well. In some cases, skin resurfacing with lasers and dermabrasion may prove beneficial. It's also important to avoid sun exposure and tanning. When scarring is persistent, scar revision surgery is occasionally necessary.

It's important to remember that wound healing occurs for 12-18 months following surgery. If you're concerned about scarring following arm lift surgery, it's important to discuss this issue with a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to address your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

No proven method to remove an established scar

I would not expect to have any improvement in scarring by the use of a Fraxel laser.  The best that you can do is keep the incision taped for the first 3 weeks and then perform vigorous massage of the scar from the end of the 3rd week to the end of the third month.  There are no proven methods to remove an established scar.  

Scar removal

Dear Lovely7,

Unfortunately, once you have surgical skin incision, there is no way to remove the scar. The quality of scar depends on your skin healing and your surgeon. Your skin healing is genetic and not much can be done about it at this stage. Your surgeon, however, plays a big role in the scar formation. That is why you should look for a board certified plastic surgeon that will be able to give you the most meticulous wound repair.  2 weeks after surgery , you may apply products like coco butter, shey butter, vit E or mederma that will help the scar to mature faster.

Best of luck.

Dr Widder

Arm Lift

Any surgery will leave a scar. There are no guarantees or warrantees as to the final look of the scar. Scarring is determined by genetic factors. There are no guaranteed treatments of removing scars.

So you are not a candidate for surgery if you are not willing to accept a scar.

Arm Lifting and Scarring?

I would suggest that you be very careful with your decision-making. “Mini arm lifting” surgery provides very limited arm lifting results. If you do have significant redundant/loose upper arm skin, it is very likely that you will not be pleased with the results of this operation.

Also, if you are truly “terrified” of scarring,  then it would be in your best interests not to undergo surgical procedures. Scarring from arm lifting surgery can be relatively complication prone and revisionary surgery may be necessary to improve the results of this procedure. There is no such thing as “surgical scar removal”.