Can I travel home 4 hours in a plane 6 days after a tummy tuck?

My flight home with no stops is about 4hrs so should I wait more than 6days before going home I'm trying to pick a return day home. Surgery is an a Tuesday I figure I could go home that Sunday . What y'all think

Airplane flight

Great question. It has been reported that airplane travel and specifically prolonged immobilization within 2 weeks of surgery increases the risk of blood clots. That being said there are several other factors that contribute to this risk and not all tummy tucks carry the same risk. So there are many potential issues that will effect the development of a clot. If you are undergoing a mini tummy tuck and are immediately mobile and ambulatory following the procedure. There are other concerns such as potential seroma formation or drain removal that may need to be assessed or performed in the early postoperative period. If you are planning on returning, I would highly recommend compression stallings, point/flex foot exercises and ambulatiin during the trip home. 

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking you should not fly in an airplane for 10 days after elective surgery.  Of course you need to discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon and follow his or her advice.

Flights after surgery

TT is one of the more complicated surgeries in the cosmetic spectrum with the highest risk of blood clotting in legs and thighs which can go to your lungs. I would avoid flying so soon after surgery. If you are traveling for your surgery, you should stay for your follow up visits and problems.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Travel after tummy tuck

It is not uncommon for our patients to have to travel because we are in spread out west Texas. I think a 4 hour plane trip 6 days post tummy tuck is pushing it.  You need to have a follow up plan in place with your surgeon.  Good luck, Jane

Maybe

this depends on what type of TT you need/are getting, your medical problems, ect. You will likely have a drain in place post-op, it will take 5-6 days atleast prior to this being ready to be removed, so 6-7 days is pushing it, but should be ok. 

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon