Should I pursue a breast reduction surgery?

I am 5'10 about 160lbs and have 36DD breasts. My chest has always been large; even when I ranged from 135-145 lbs my chest was 32C-34D. Over the past few years I have had increasing neck/shoulder/upper back pain. I have always had moderately poor posture but it has really become more noticeable after gaining some weight. I am constantly uncomfortable and having to "adjust" myself despite having expensive, supportive bras. Are my dimensions enough to warrant a breasts reduction surgery?

Breast reduction

You sound like a decent candidate for a breast reduction but you would need to be seen in person to be sure.

Is breast reduction for me?

Thank you for your question.  It sounds as if you are a wonderful candidate.  Breast reduction surgery is one of the most universally appreciated procedures that I perform.  By removing even a small amount of breast tissue does help your posture and neck, shoulder and back pain.  Not only that but it really improves people's self esteem and the way they carry themselves.  I would encourage you to find out your options from your local board certified plastic surgeon.

Robin Evans, MD, FRCSC
British Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Should I pursue a breast reduction.

If you have a very large breast and symptoms of back or neck strain breast reduction is certanly worth a look. YOu can look better and feel better as well, and insurance coverage of often available depending on your insurance polan.

Scarless breast reduction

Certainly sounds like it's worth a visit to a board-certified plastic surgeon. You will hear about the traditional procedure. Consider an alternative which is liposuction only.  Quick, less expensive, simple, no general anesthesia, no scars, minimal aftercare and recuperation time. It's not right for everyone but it's worth looking into but find someone that really specializes in it. Hope this is helpful.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most gratifying procedures for my patients. The recovery is usually quick and not very painful and the results are great. I would encourage you to seek a consult 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Is Breast Reduction Surgery Right for Me? #breastreductionseattle

• Large breasts definitely can cause neck, shoulder, and upper back pain.  Additionally, large breasts can make it difficult to exercise. 
  • After a breast reduction women notice a significant improvement in these symptoms, and their posture is improved as well. 
  • Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated. 

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately without photos or more importantly, an in-person evaluation, it is nearly impossible to tell you if you qualify for this procedure.  It sounds as though you would benefit from a breast reduction based on your description alone, though.  Please be evaluated in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine what would be both best and realistic for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for your question.  If you feel that your breasts are disproportionately large (photos would help) and contributing to stress on your back / neck / shoulders, then a breast reduction would be a good option provided that you're not a smoker.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS