Pain during sex 4mo post op - vaginal rejuvenation.

Had my surgery 3/4/16, nearly 4mo post-op. Since the Dr also tightened the opening, it's like a small thin flap of skin was pulled & stretched from the perineum area & secured to make the opening tighter. It makes it so you can't see inside my vagina, unlike before. I have a difficult time inserting a penis from any sex position, hurts to the point of tears. The thin "flap" is what hurts. Is this normal? Will it subside? Do I need to do exercises to relax it? Or do I need a revision? Help! :(

It sounds like you have a perineal web which needs revision

This is an uncommon, but easy to fix problem. I treat these under local anesthesia in under 10 minutes with a very simple procedure known as reverse perineoplasty. You'll have a few tiny dissolvable stitches, but sex will be painless once you're healed. Dilators won't fix this because it's not a muscle or deep tissue problem.

Introital dyspareunia

Sexual pain 4 months post op is not normal. If the vaginal opening is to tight, it may improve over time with manual or dilator therapy, but repeated attempts at sex that result in pain can create a new problem...vaginismus (involuntary muscle tensing). I suggest a careful exam to see if a minor revision would be helpful.

Pain post vaginoplasty

Thank you for your post.  You should not be in pain at this point in your healing process.   I would make sure your surgeon is aware of the situation and has properly evaluated you.  If they have and no recommendation has been made then you should seek a second opinion.Best of luck.

Perineal skin is too tight

It sounds as though your perineal skin is too tight. I often liken this to the skin between your thumb and forefinger when you point your finger at something and you thumb is at a 90 degree angle.  look how tight that skin is. The further you pull your thumb away from the pointing finger the tighter the web or band of skin gets. This tension causes pain when to much pressure ( i.e. penis is pushed against it)..   Please ask your surgeon about this area. You most likely need to have your perineum redone.--- perineoplasty--- to do the opposite of what he intended -- i.e. make it slightly  larger now.

John R Miklos 
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Pain during sex 4 months PostOp-

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your postoperative healing issues.  It sounds as if you had a perineoplasty and that it's repair may have been too tight.  See your surgeon for an examination.  If the area can not be dilated with lubrication and dilators your many need to have a revision procedure performed.  Best wishes. 

Pain with sex post

you do not want this pain. You are too tight and this is a problem often  with this surgery--either the opening, or the canal (or both) since the surgeon has to figure this out by experience. Also, some people heal with more scar tissue and have pain where others don't. Get an OBGYN exam please.

Pain with sex after vag rejuv

From your description alone, it's hard to say exactly what the problem is. You should consult a gynecologist for an exam. However, usually the proper technique is to pull the vagina down to meet the perineum instead of pulling the perineum up into the vagina. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN