My insurance will cover my breast reduction but how much extra will a lift cost?

My insurance company will cover my breast lift due to it medically being necessary due to severe back and neck pains but I would like a lift also. I am willing to pay for it just wondering how much oukd I have to come out of pocket for the lift.

If a surgeon charges you for a lift when having an insruance covered reduction

your surgeon is ethically challenged as the reduction includes a lift, plain and simple.  Your surgeon should show you what the reduction will do and you can look at photos on-line and see that all reductions result in nipples lifted.

Insurance and BR

Unfortunately, each insurance company has their own criteria. Large breasts (macromastia) or breast hypertrophy can occur in a variety of conditions (family trait, post pregnancy, excessive adolescent growth). In general when the excessive breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for the operation if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Other problems which are less likely to be covered by insurance include skin irritation, skeletal deformity, breathing problems, psychological/emotional problems, and interference with normal daily activities. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. Each insurance policy has different guidelines and exclusions.
This procedure is commonly covered by insurance through insurance criteria are becoming more and more restrictive.

Generally, no additional Breast "Lift" needed at the time of a Breast Reduction surgery

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on getting your Breast Reduction surgery covered by your health insurance plan. The surgery itself should result in smaller, perkier, more symmetrical, and "lifted" breasts - so generally speaking, there should be no additional cosmetic procedure needed. For further questions, please be sure to check with your board-certified plastic surgeon. . 

Breast reduction vs lift

A breast lift is included in the breast reduction procedure.  This is part of it.  Liposuction of the side and closing beautifully with dissolvable sutures is what plastic surgeons do best.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Breast reduction surgery includes a lift

Breast reduction surgery typically employs breast lift techniques in order to optimize breast shaping and remove sufficient breast tissue.

Always double check with the surgeon of your choice, but a breast lift is generally always included in the cost of a breast reduction. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction, lift is included

A typical breast reduction includes a breast lift.  No extra fees, no extra recovery. Its a twofer. Go for it.  Good luck, Jane

You can relax, a lift is an integral part of a reduction, not a separate procedure, and is included in the fees Your only resposibiity will be your deductible.  

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breas reduction

If insurance covers your breast reduction, often a lift is done as part of the procedure so that shouldn't be extra.

How much is a breast lift with a breast reduction?

Typically, a breast reduction includes a breast lift.  The markings for a breast reduction and a breast lift are the same, so that ultimately the only difference between the two procedures is that breast tissue is removed during a breast reduction while it is not removed during a breast lift.  Therefore, if you are having a breast reduction which is covered by your health insurance, you should not have to pay extra for a breast lift.  Definitely discuss your goals and expectations with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon