Hemoglobin and iron levels?

What can I do to increase my hemoglobin and my iron levels safely before surgery I'm 2 1/2 weeks out ?

Increase hemoglobin and iron before surgery - how?

Thank you for asking about your hemoglobin and iron levels.
  • If your surgeon asked you to increase your iron levels, please ask your surgeon or your regular doctor what pills to take.
  • Your hemoglobin is normal, your red cells a little large and the iron levels a little low -
  • This may be normal for you and is a little confusing -
  • Usually low iron leads to small red cells -
  • The usual treatment for low iron is to increase the iron in your diet, specifically eggs and red meat.
  • Your lab work, as it is now, looks fine for surgery.
  • You should have your regular doctor check your blood count again 3 - 6 months after surgery.
  • Significant abnormalities need to be evaluated by a hematologist but I do not see the need based on this lab test.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Blood levels before surgery

Your hemoglobin and hematocrit are normal.  There is nothing you need to do before your surgery.  However, your red blood cell count is a little high and the shape of your red blood cells are a little abnormal, nothing to prevent any surgery.  I would have your blood levels checked again in 6 months to see if there is any trend, but you are good to go on your procedure.
Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

Eat healthy and try to use products that contain lots of iron, and you can also use supplements or iron pills. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD