Hemoglobin and iron levels?
Doctor Answers 3
Increase hemoglobin and iron before surgery - how?
- If your surgeon asked you to increase your iron levels, please ask your surgeon or your regular doctor what pills to take.
- Your hemoglobin is normal, your red cells a little large and the iron levels a little low -
- This may be normal for you and is a little confusing -
- Usually low iron leads to small red cells -
- The usual treatment for low iron is to increase the iron in your diet, specifically eggs and red meat.
- Your lab work, as it is now, looks fine for surgery.
- You should have your regular doctor check your blood count again 3 - 6 months after surgery.
- Significant abnormalities need to be evaluated by a hematologist but I do not see the need based on this lab test.
Blood levels before surgery