Is it safe to exercise 2 weeks after augmentation?

I am 2 weeks out from my augmentation. Everything went great as far as I can tell. I'm an exercise nut and my PS advised me I could return to gym for lower body workouts. The past few days I have done stairmaster/walking/biking with no pressure on arms. I did work out enough to get sweaty and my heart rate elevated. Reading some reviews it sounds like getting heart rate up may be bad? I don't want to risk increased inflammation/CC/damage to incisions. I had no pain during or after my exercise

I advise patients to wait 3 weeks

Everyone heals at a different rate but it's important to wait until healing is stable before stressing your body. If done too early, exercise that elevates blood pressure could lead to bleeding and swelling. I advise patients to wait  3 weeks before any strenuous exercise, just to be safe.

Exercise Post op

Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

Recovery after breast augmentation

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique. We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity. Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

Exercise

Every PS has different preferences and these can also vary depending on the size and shape of the implants. I would ask your PS his/her advice.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  As every surgeon has their own set of post operative instructions, the best advice is always to consult with your operating surgeon first.  That being said, typically we advise patients to not elevate their heart rate for the first two weeks after surgery.  During weeks 3-6 we inform patients that they may begin normal exercise routines, minus chest presses, lifting or any exercise that utilizes the pectoral muscles.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Exercise 2 weeks after augmentation

Thanks for your question.

Generally I tell my patients to refrain from any kind of exercise or heavy lifting for 4 weeks after surgery.  Although you may be feeling  fully healed, you don't want to jeopardize the good progress you have made to this point.  As always check with your plastic surgeon.

Exercise

Usually at two weeks light exercise is permitted
I tell my patients that they should avoid any chest muscle activities for 4-6 weeks to allow your muscles to soften. It is always best to refer back to your surgeon for his or her recommendations about exercise after surgery 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after augmentation

This is something you need to talk to your surgeon about. The surgeons in the Milwaukee area are very responsive to their patients. All you need to do is call the nurse in the office and the nurse will get you the information you need.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Breast Augmentation

Exercise after Breast Augmentation should be limited to lower body workouts for the first few weeks. You would want everything to turn out well after this surgical procedure you have wanted for a while so dialing back workouts for 4 weeks is a small price to pay. I agree that walking or bike riding at a slow pace would be ideal ways to preserve your fitness and yet not increase your risk of  complications. Once your Plastic Surgeon has given you permission to increase your activity do so at a controlled rate. All athletes should gradually increase their workouts to avoid injury, and this is true after any surgery as well!

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks is too soon

Makeyourself:  It seems like every doctor has a different idea of how soon patients can resume exercise following surgery.  My personal opinion is that 2 weeks post is too early to resume any activity that increases your heart rate or blood pressure as this can lead to excessive swelling.  Of course there will be some swelling even without exercise but the more swelling that occurs, the more and sutures and skin is stressed.  My recommendation is to avoid such activity for 6 weeks postop.  If you didn't notice more swelling the day after your workout though you will probably be fine.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon