Compression bra vs. sports bra? (Photo)

Hi, I was hoping you could tell me if there is a big difference between a compression bra and a sports bra. I'm having explant sugery on September 1st. I wasn't told much about what kind of bras I'd need, so I purchased four Carefix compression bras; two with more compression (2) and two with less compression (4). Will these work as a sports bra would, or should I have just saved money and bought plain sports bras? Will these be too much compression? I like that they are a front closure. Thanks!

Compression bra vs. sports bra?

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will likely have preferences and recommendations for you. Personally, I like the use of relatively snug fitting bra over compressive dressings immediately after surgery.  I think that this compression is helpful when it comes to avoidance of fluid accumulation in the space where the breast implants  were removed from.  Afterwards, a formfitting sports or compression bra is helpful when it comes to the support  provided during the skin “bounce back” process.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Compression bra versus sports bra?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Without photographs to guide recommendations I would stick with your current plan on compression bras to help you during recovery.  In most cases of women with remaining breast tissue a sports bra is typically sufficient.  Hope this helps.

Compression bra vs. sports bra?

In my practice, we recommend compression bras and sports bras depending on the needs of the patient.  Contact your surgeon's office for recommendations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bra After Breast Explant Surgery

First, I find it very disturbing that the surgeon's office did not discuss this with you. At least you are considering the problems and have done something about it. To answer your question, I would need to know how much breast tissue you expect to have after the surgery. If you will have a significant amount, then a good sports bra may work. You cannot go wrong with what you have done, however. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon