Is having children after a TT safe? (Photo)

I am New to this and in the beginning stage of my research for receiving plastic surgery. I am extremely nervous and excited but also confused all at the same time. I defiantly would like more children but i don't see children in my near future. I was told i need A TT but was hoping to just receive lipo. Should i wait a few more years to see if i have another child or is it safe to receive my TT now and if i have children a few years later will i be fine or capable of keeping my body???

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and your photo. If you are still considering children, then you may want to postpone the tummy tuck surgery until you are done having children. The reason being, during surgery, the vertical muscles are tightened and future pregnancies can divide those muscles. So you will just have to redo the entire surgery again after you are done having children if you chose to get a tummy tuck now. Be sure to go with a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed at least 100 procedures per year. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

Safe to have a TT before children

Under most circumstances it is best to wait until you are finished having children before having a "full TT".  During that procedure the abdominal muscles and waist line are tightened with sutures.  Becoming pregnant will stretch the tissue putting you in the position of possibly needing a second surgery to regain the results you had.  Revision surgeries are never as elegant as the original.  There are other options to consider if you are adamant about improving your abdominal aesthetics urgently.   Best to be discuss these goals in person and fully understand the concerns and limitations of each abdominal procedure.  Best of Luck

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

If you have no immediate plans on child bearing, proceeding with a tummy tuck is not unreasonable. It may have to be repeated after pregnancy and I have performed this on two of my paitents. Liposuction is easier and will reduce the bulk of the abdominal fullness but may do nothing for the loose skin.

Is having children after a TT safe

I think liposuction will remove some fat but leave loose skin on your abdomen. I think it is safe to have a tummy tuck but if you get pregnant in the future, just be advised the tummy tuck will need to be re-done.

Julio Garcia, MD

Children After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question, it is a very common one.

Yes, you should be able to have children safely after a tummy tuck.  However, the child may stretch out your abdominal wall muscles and skin, and therefore you may want a revision afterward.  If you are planning on having children in the near future, I typically recommend waiting until afterward to have the surgery.  If you are planning on having children in the distant future but want a slimmer abdomen now, then you can have the surgery now, have the child later, and know that you may need a revision at a later time.  I hope that's helpful.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

SAfe to have children after TT?

This is a question I get asked a lot. Yes, it is safe to have children after a tummy tuck. However, the pregnancy or pregnancies may "undo" the results of the tummy tuck and make you look like you did before you had it.      As to whether or not liposuction would be advisable, I would say you need to see a plastic surgeon in person to go over what your goals are and what the outcome with liposuction would be.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Is having children after a TT safe?

Having children is safe after a tummy tuck so nothing to worry about. Most women wait until that are sure they are done having children. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Is having children after a tummy tuck safe?

Thank you for your question, it is a common one!  The simple answer from a pure safety standpoint is yes, having children after a tummy tuck is safe.  It will not harm you or the baby if this happens.

However, if you would like more children and you think there is a chance that you might have more children, then the wisest course of action will be to wait to have a tummy tuck until you are completely done having children.  This is because childbirth after a tummy tuck risks "undoing" the tummy tuck.  A pregnant belly will stretch out skin and abdominal muscles again, and you may need to repeat the surgery.  

Most people don't want to pay for 2 tummy tucks!  So my advice is to wait until you are done having kids.  Best of luck!

Thank you for your question. After a TT you can become pregnant again but you will reduce a lot of the results that you have from your procedure. Thats why we as doctors say , in general, its better to wait after you have your child wish completed.But this is a personal decision , i also have client that had children after their TT procedure. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Children now or after TT?

If you know you want children you should really wait until you are doing having children.  You want to have the best outcome possible.  During a Tummy tuck you will have the excess skin removed and the muscles tighten if you have a child there is a good chance you might need another tummy tuck and the truth is the second time around might not be the same.  Have your children and once you are done have the tummy tuck done.

Good luck!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon