Botox at 20. Will it make my wrinkles worse or age me when I get old? (Photo)

I have wrinkles under eyes and low eyebrows and I want Botox but I don't know if it will make wrinkles worse or age me when I get even old

Botox at 20

There really has been a paradigm shift in the age of Botox patients.  It uses to be people turned 50 and started thinking about Botox.  While certainly helpful, a strong case can be made to start Botox earlier.  Botox will not erase lines that are present when the face is in a relaxed position ie with no muscle movement.  Many patients have the "elevens" or horizontal forehead lines "etched" in their skin by age 50.  If you start Botox at 20, those lines never get a chance to start, and will not be present at 50.  An analogy might be instead of trying to lose 30 pounds, never gain the weight in the first place.  Starting Botox early is very reasonable, and will not make you look old later on.

Pensacola Dermatologist

BOTOX at 20 Won't Cause Wrinkles

Thank you for your question and for posting a photo. It surprises many people when I tell them that I'm seeing more and more patients in their 20s coming in for BOTOX injections to prevent early signs of facial aging. BOTOX works by limiting the movements of facial muscles that repeatedly contract throughout the day as we change expressions. Smiling, frowning, scowling, and other expressions are what cause "dynamic wrinkles" (as opposed to wrinkles caused as the skin ages naturally). By preventing these muscle movements starting from a younger age, BOTOX can actually help delay wrinkles. It will not cause wrinkles later on.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox at 20

Botox is not know to make wrinkles worse. The drug works by weakening the muscles that cause wrinkles. After injection, the muscle gradually relaxes, and the lines diminish substantially or completely disappear. Botox is now a common form of prevention.

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a qualified injector to determine if you are a good candidate and to see what your best options are. 

Take care. 

Botox as a preventative measure

We now routinely use Botox in younger patients to help prevent the development of wrinkles as people age. The wrinkles under your eyelids can be difficult to treat and Botox may not be the best option for this area. I would suggest consultation with a physician who is highly experienced in the use of Botox eyes to determine which options may be best for you.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox does not make wrinkles worse when you get older

Botox does not make wrinkles worse when you get older. Younger patients do not have to worry. Botox can help dynamic (movement related) wrinkles at any age and the sooner the treatments are done (when wrinkles are present) the better.
At the same time, not all the wrinkles can be helped with Botox and that is why all patients need a thorough assessment and consultation with an experienced doctor prior to having any treatment.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Botox can assist in slowing down the aging process, but it cannot stop the aging process.  Make sure to see a board certified physician for a full evaluation. Hope this helps.

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.

Botox is a great way to help prevent wrinkles in the future. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Will Botox make me a check when I get older?

Thank you for your question. Botox will not necessarily make you look older when you age. It definitely cannot stop the aging process, however. In fact it may help soften future lines and wrinkles, as your skin is less prone to developing memory of muscular expression. 

BOTOX and Aging

Botox is excellent for preventing active wrinkles to become standing wrinkles. It is great to use in your early 20s and 30s as a maintenance/preventative anti-aging method. I would not advise using it beneath your lower eyelids. 

No

Botox is actually a great preventative measure. I started using it in my 20's. However, the thing that is really important in terms of delivering excellent results is the skill, expertise and training of your injector. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD