What can I do to before and after rhinoplasty to prevent swelling or make it less severe?

Are there foods I should or should not eat? Activities I should or should not do?

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

As others have said, acute swelling after Rhinoplasty is inevitable. Ice and elevation are the best you can do. Usually the  swelling peaks at about 48 hours. After this things start to recede. One other thing that can help is getting intraoperatve steroids. Ask your surgeon if this is something that they do.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

How to minimize swelling and bruising after rhinoplasty?

There are several medications to avoid, both before and after surgery, and you should discuss this with your surgeon. After the operation I have my patients keep their head elevated at all times, including at night, and use ice for the first 48 hours. Avoid vigorous exercise for at least 2 weeks. Studies regarding the use of Arnica are inconclusive, but there is no harm in using it. If you have high blood pressure, you want to make sure it is under control. If you tend to bleed easily be sure to mention that to your surgeon. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

The reality is that there is not a lot one can do to control the swelling after rhinoplasty surgery. The most important element is the tapes and splint that the surgeon applies and leaving them for at least a week after surgery. Bruising may be helped somewhat by oral Arnica tablets taken one week before and one week after surgery.

What can I do before and after rhinoplasty to prevent swelling

Swelling in the nose after a rhinoplasty is inevitable.  There are many issues that can  cause swelling after the nose such  which include the specific  procedures that were performed, open versus closed rhinoplasty, cartilage grafting, and the type of skin in nose.  It is important to have a low salt diet after the procedure to reduce the swelling.  Important not to take any blood thinners like aspirin to prevent nosebleeds.  For  many before and after results of rhinoplasty and our preoperative and postoperative instructions, please see the video and the link

Your surgeon should give you post operative instructions.  Avoid activities where you could get hit or bumped.  Discuss any medications you are taking with your surgeon prior to surgery.  Best wishes for a nice recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD