Asymmetrical nostrils? (Photo)

One of my nostrils seems to be longer and droop more than the other one. I was wondering how I would go about fixing this? What is the operation called, how much would it cost, and would there be able temporary or permanent scarring? Thanks

Asymmetrical nostrils?

Thank you for your question and photo. Having a asymmetry nose is common for most people and this is because the face is asymmetry which affects the nose. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Dear rxbe18, Your nostril asymmetry would come under typical asymmetry that is seen in many patients and most likely would not need corrective surgery. You may open a can of worms if you just address your nostrils alone. If you have rhinoplasty for other aesthetic purposes you may see some improvement in the nostril asymmetry. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Uneven nostrils

While nostril asymmetry is the most difficult area of asymmetry to correct, in most cases it can be improved during rhinoplasty.  While perfect symmetry is not attainable, improved symmetry usually is.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Asymmetric nostrils

I don't see it.   Your nostrils are so close to perfectly symmetric that there is a very high risk of making it worse with surgery.   

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is not enough asymmetry to warrant the risks of surgery. I suggest you do nothing.You can wind up with something worse.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Your  nostrils seem to have normal asymmetry.  Just from this photo, I probably would not recommend anything. An in office exam would be essential.

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is difficult to see the asymmetry in this picture.  If you are interested in changing the shape of your nostril, this is possible with rhinoplasty.   Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. Alar batten grafts can be used in cases of extreme asymmetry.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. The open rhinoplasty procedure creates incisions around the nose and through its center. Many surgeons feel this approach, with its access to the underlying structure of the face, allows for a more detailed and predictable approach to nasal contouring. Please have an in-person consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.  Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD