Is it just the way my skin is, or should I be looking around for another doctor?

I received Juvederm injections for "marionette" lines at the corners of my mouth that extend downwards towards my chin. The marionette lines are shallow and not very long. But there seems to be no improvement! I can still see the lines, or as my doctor says, I'm seeing "shadows" created by the Juvederm, but then can't correct the "shadows." To me the lines just don't look any different. Could it be the placement of the Juvederm is off? Should I stop getting the Juvederm or find another doctor?

Juvederm marionette lines injection

This is hard without a picture. Marionette lines are sometimes tough to eradicate with just filler. Filler will help in most cases. More filler is better as well in most cases. PDO threads will help in some cases where the filler isn't helping. Careful evaluation of before and after pictures is needed, and hopefully these were done.

Is it just the way my skin is?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  Unfortunately without seeing before and after images it is difficult to offer definite advice as much depends on the severity of your marionette lines, amount of filler material placed, and experience of the injector.  It does not hurt to seek a second opinion or try another injector if you are not obtaining the results anticipated based on your initial consultation.

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fillers can be reversed if you do not like the results. I suggset you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatments for the marionette lines

Thank you for your question CateP120. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. It is difficult to assess your results without photographs. Depending on the depth of the folds and the amount of filler initially used, more filler may possibly be used. For my patients I prefer starting with Voluma in the upper cheeks. This pulls the skin on the lower face upward and improves the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and jowls. Skin tightening treatments such as SkinTyte, Ultherapy, and fractional CO2 lasers can also tighten the skin in the lower face and pull up on the marionette lines. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Marionette lines

Sometimes fillers can help them, sometimes facelifting can help them. It all depends upon the individual. I would need to see you in person.

Juvederm for marionette lines

If you are not pleased with the results of the first Juvederm injection in the marionette lines, you might consider a second opinion and/or another approach to treatment. Often treatment of the midface volume loss helps the appearance of the lower facial contours. Be sure to see someone who has experience with injections. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon