Best procedure for broken capillaries?

I have a few noticeable broken capillaries on my face that I'd like to have removed. Which treatment works better IPL or another type of laser. Im fair skinned if that matters.

IPL or YAG are great treatments for broken capillaries

IPL is great for broken capillaries as well as YAG. IPL does a number of things for the skin including: hyperpigmentation, sun spots, redness in the skin and broken capillaries. The treatment address mulitple skin issues. You will need a series of treatments depending on how bad the capillaries are. YAG is also another great treatment. Broken capillaries are a common issue for both men and women. You tend to see this issue around the nose, cheeks and chin. Several things can cause broken capillaries such as blowing your nose. Be gentle when washing your face as well. Any pressure or tugging on the skin can cause broken capillaries also. 

Little Rock Family Physician

Broken capillaries

IPL is a very commonly performed procedure for these.  In the right hands, anywhere from 1 to 3 sessions are typically required.

Other procedures that can often work are CO2 resurfacing, Clear & Brilliant laser treatments as well as 1064 Yag laser.  Of course a consultation is always the best approach.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

IPL can help

IPL can help get rid of the broken capillaries and with your light skin type the risk for complications is pretty low. The excel V laser is also very good for vascular lesions like you're describing. The IPL works well for small superficial lesions while the excel V is able to treat larger and slightly deeper ones. Feel free to make an appointment and I would be happy to see you. 

~Dr. Sieber 

Broken Capillary Conundrum--Laser Treatment for facial redness

There are a few options. The best treatments are vascular lasers such as pulsed dye laser and Excel V.  IPL is good in the right hands, but has more risk of complications and doesn't last as long in my opinion.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Treatments

Thank you for your question. Broken capillaries can be treated in a number of ways.  You are correct that an IPL would be appropriate.  There are also Yag lasers that are designed specifically for broken capillaries.  Being fair skinned does work in your favor with either treatment, as the provider may be able to treat you more effectively in fewer treatments. 

In regards to which treatment would be right for you, I would advise you seeing a board certified dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon who offers both treatments. After seeing your skin and problem areas and taking a comprehensive history, the physician would be able to select the treatment that is best suited for you.  Both treatments can be effective, with similar down time and discomfort, so it would really be up to the provider at the time of your appointment.

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon