Hole/wound isn't healing after 8 weeks & 3 months post op. Any suggestions? (photos)

A small hole with yellow and blood discharge show to the right of the incision, started small but has grown. PS cauterize it twice but it still isn't much better. I've been keeping it covered with and putting ointment on it. Can't use gauze because it pulls on the wound when removed. What's the best course of action? Thank you.

What is the cause of your wound?

The procedure and presence of an implant makes a huge difference in how I would approach this.  If no implant, wound care should allow it to heal.  If there is depth to the wound, packing is needed to allow it to close from the inside out.  If it doesn't heal, other diagnoses have to be considered, especially if it is enlarging.  Your surgeon should be giving you the best advice possible since he/she knows what procedure was done and whether this is a deep wound or not.

Hole/wound isn't healing after 8 weeks & 3 months post op. Any suggestions?

Dear mkirshThis type of incision wound can occur after a suture abscess. The treatment in my experience includes first looking for and removing the suture if still present and then using anti-bacterial non adherent dressing. I use Xeroform gauze, as a single layer, and find it helps this type of wound heal rapidly and with minimal discomfort. Discuss non adherent dressings with your surgeon.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Small hole in incision

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination and instructions.  I generally discourage the use of ointment on a healing area.  I wish you good luck.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Small hole / wound isn't healing ,started after 8 weeks breast augmentation with lift

Thank you for your question.  It is unusual at 3 months to not be healed .  Sometimes a dissolving suture wants to make it's way out but that is typically sooner and heals quickly.  I would make an appointment with your PS and ask for an ultra sound to confirm that the implant is okay. 

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast augmentation and lift - hole won't heal 3 months post-op.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and lift.
  • I don't want to alarm you but an enlarging opening in the surgical incision 3 months after an implant always raises the concern of an infection around the implant.
  • If I were your surgeon, I would order an ultrasound to see if this is the case.
  • Ask your surgeon to consider this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS