11 Days Post-Op and my Left Breast is very sore and much more swollen than my right breast. I'm a little concerned.

I'm 11 days post-op. I had 310 cc filled to 375 cc. Incisions through the nipple. The pain is just on the left, outer side of my left breast - not the entire breast. My right breast feels fine. When I went in for my 1 week post appt my surgeon said the left breast was much more swollen than the right (which it is). I find myself constantly holding/massaging it from being so sore. Is this something to be concerned about? My next appointment is in 5 days. Should I call or wait until the appt? Thnx

Pain after breast augment

Whenever there is significant unilateral pain, in my opinion, that is an indication to reach out to your plastic surgeon who should evaluate you and determine the cause. It could be muscular but, just as well, could reflect a hematoma or other issue.  I am not a fan of self-treatment (ie-massage) unless directed to do so by your surgeon. 

Early post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Pain in breast

If you are having severe pain, then you should be checked out in person.  Best of luck with your results.

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast lifting operation, recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. Operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be

Assymetry of breasts 11 days post op

You should not have that significant of a difference as you are describing. I would recommend you see you surgeon before the 5 days especially if things are getting worse or not improving at all. It may just be the muscle being different on that side but you should be checked.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Pain and swelling and feeling of tightness on one side after breast augmentation can be a sign of hematoma or bleeding. I suggest that you see your surgeon for an exam and not wait 5 days.

Breast swelling and asymmetry after BA.

Unless you had asymmetry of your breasts before surgery, you should not have marked asymmetry of your breasts after surgery.  This combined with more pain on that side raises the concern of a hematoma in your breast.  You should see your surgeon sooner, not later for an evaluation.

Swelling and pain

Hello and thank you for your question. Its unfortunate you are feeling this discomfort. I always tell my patients that if they feel like something is not right then they should call me or the office. Unless its something that sounds completely normal, I usually have them come into the office just so I can evaluate them myself and give us both peace of mind. Asymmetric swelling and pain can be very normal after surgery but it depends on the extent. If they are significantly different in regards to swelling and pain then a concern would be for possible hematoma. I dont think you should wait 5 days. I think its best you, at the least, call your plastic surgeon and express your concerns with them but I definitely think they should know about it. Congrats on your new breasts!I hope this helps.

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The breasts may swell asymmetrically. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.