I replaced 22 year old over muscle saline implants with under muscle gummy bears. Is it normal for one to settle better?

2 weeks today , one seems to be settling better than the other, is this normal

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.   

Breast augmentation

It is generally too early to tell since it is very common for some asymmetries to be noticeable in the early postop period.  But it is always a good idea to keep regular follow ups with your surgeon and mention these concerns clearly.  There may be some interventions that can help the situation.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Implants settling

There always seems to be one implant that tends to settle a bit faster than the other.  At two weeks out you are still very early. Best of luck.

Implant replacement

It is very early in the healing and settling process, during which it is common for there to be slight left to right differences. These usually take several months.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

Harry T. Haramis, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Implant not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS