Breast augmentation without morphine just ibuprofen? (Photo)

Can I just take ibuprofen instead of a strong pain killer i dont want to get addicted but, is it okay to take ibuprofen instead. Does it make your blood thin after surgery or can it cause complications??

Breast Augmentation

I would recommend taking Tylenol after your surgery.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Pain meds after breast augmentation

If you want to take something without an opiate, tylenol is ok if you are not allergic.  Motrin can cause bleeding and is not recommended.

Post surgery pain relief

Morphine is not required. Discuss this with your anaesthesiologist and make a plan for post surgery that does not involve opiates if possible.

Motrin after Breast implants.

Thanks for your question. Because Motrin( Ibupofen) can increase the risk of bleeding I favor tylenol in the post op period. Ibuprofen inhibits platelets that allow our blood to clot. Tylenol does not. 

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

There Are Options

After breast augmentation the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become inflamed and edematous. There are often sensations such as burning, sharpness, tearing, and pulling can come and go as the tissues heal and the swelling and inflammation subsides.  Post-operative pain control during the first few days is usually achieved through a combination of long-acting local anesthetic, muscle relaxers, and narcotic pain medication. After the first few days, NSAIDS such as Ibuprofen can be added to decrease inflammation and allow the transition from narcotics to over the counter pain medications. NSAIDS may possibly increase the risk of bleeding in the pocket, however, after the initial post-operative period, the risk is often minimal. This approach to pain management is very successful for most patients and does not encourage dependency.  For patients looking to avoid narcotics altogether, pain management can be achieved using Tylenol and very long acting local anesthetics such as Exparel instead of narcotics. This approach is more expensive, however, and not offered in all locations. For more info on breast augmentation see the link below.
Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Motrin is inadequate

Motrin will not be adequate pain control, it can thin your blood, and my cause complications.  You should not become addicted to narcotics just by having a breast augmentation.

Pain Meds after Breast Augmentation

Opinions vary regarding postop use of Ibuprofen because of possible bleeding tendencies. Many plastic surgeons, myself included, prescribe Ibuprofen 1-2 days postop if patients do not wish to take opioids. The anti-inflammatory effect works well in pain relief. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Post Op Medication Concerns

I advise against Ibuprofen post op and instead recommend Acetaminophen due to bleeding concerns. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred post op medication protocols however and you must speak with your own surgeon about your preferences and concerns. Many of my patients find that they do not need narcotic pain medication post op or they will take only small amounts for the first day or two. I prescribe it to be taken as needed, not exceeding the max dose, for this reason. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about what will work best for you.
Take care

Ibuprofen after breast augmentation

I advise all my patients to stop Ibuprofen for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 1 week after surgery.  However, there are surgeons who do prescribe Ibuprofen after surgery with good pain relief.  If you have any addiction issues in the past, be sure to have an open honest conversation with your doctor before hand so you can be comfortable and safe after surgery.

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend my patient refrain from taking ibuprofen one week before and one week after surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD