Do I need a neck lift at 25? Second opinion, please (Phtoo)

I'm a healthy 25 year old that has always had a full face and neck - aka a slight double chin, especially from the front view. Yesterday I went to a plastic surgeon for a chin lipo consultation only to be shocked when the physician - who has been practicing for 30 years - said to get the desired results I need a FULL NECK LIFT!! I was HORRIFIED. He said from looking at my family history that genetics are in play and that he would do lipo but I will be back for a lift in 10 years anyways. HELP!

Do I need a neck lift at 25? Second opinion, please

It is hard to say looking just at photos, but if you have fat beneath the neck muscle, then a more invasive neck procedure would be needed. Liposuction can only remove the fat above the muscle, and although it might reduce the blunting, for your desired result, a neck lift with no skin excision may be required. It is not an age thing as much as a genetic thing and where your fat is.

Neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing.  It's possible that chin lipo (to remove fat), combined with smart lipo (to remove fat and tighten skin), and a platysmaplasty (to tighten the muscle) be performed with one incision under the chin. Consult with several experienced surgeons in person to see if these procedures would be appropriate and achieve your goals. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

That was a good idea to include such good photos. You probably cannot achieve quite the photshopped goal, but at least close to that, but not with simple liposuction. The "Family Neck" has a complex etiology and requires an open surgery. The more superficial fat that we might be able to reduce with simple liposuction, is only a fraction of the problem. We also usually find a significant pad of subplatysmal fat that has to be removed under direct vision and frequently also need to thin the anterior belly of the digastric muscles. An inexperienced surgeon rarely recognizes this. The good news is that it can all be done through a very small horizontal incision under your chin.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Full neck at 25

I don't think you need a full neck lift. Either you could try kybella or liposuction to dissolve the fat superficially. You could do a surgical lipectomy with or without platysma plication. Since a physical exam will help tremendously in determining what you need I would recommend you see a local plastic surgeon for a more extensive workup. I would have you look into kybella as you are potentially an ideal candidate for it.

Aric K. Park, MD

Options for improving the young neck

Hi sat2016.  Thank you for sharing pics. Your physical examination is central to deciding how much fat is under the skin and above the platysma muscle-this is the fat that is accessible with liposuction, coolsculpting or kybella injections.  If there is not much, you will need to proceed to surgery.  An incision under the chin helps provide access to remove the fat under the muscle and to tighten any degree of muscle separation.  Your photoshopped pic shows sharp angles &  definition that would require more lifting with incisions around the earlobes and behind the ear. Be sure to have several in person exams and consults with other ABPS certified PS before deciding. Best wishes,

Neck Lift at 25?

Thank you for your question and pictures neck liposuction would need to be performed to remove the fat beneath the muscle then neck tightening used to make the neck smooth and contoured.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve. All The Best 

Do I need a neck lift at 25? = it depends on your goals #necklift #chinlipo

Double chin (Submittal  fullness) is generally caused by excess of fat in that area. Excess of submittal fat can be improved at once with liposuction or slowly with Kybella injections.

Neck lift is a procedure to rejuvenate the neck generally in older people. However, in certain cases it could be done in younger people  if indicated.

Patients interested in determine if candidates for submittal liposuction, kybella or neck lift   should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

John Mesa, MD

Neck Lift at 25!?

No I don't think you need a neck lift.  Even if he says you would be back in 10 years, that's not the reason to give you a neck lift at 25.

The advantage you have is that you are young.  Your skin has significantly more elasticity and recoil than someone 30 years older than you.  While liposuction on a 55 year old may leave her with a saggy neck and loose skin, liposuction on a 25 year old would likely result in skin contracture and shrinkage to improve the neck contour, simply by the elasticity of the skin.

I would seek another opinion with a different board certified plastic surgeon. 

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

In general, it would be very unusual for someone in their twenties to require a neck lift procedure.  Commonly the fullness is secondary to excess fatty tissue, which can look more prominent than it is  in some cases because of a small chin. Often submental (underneath the chin) liposuction (+/- weight loss) will help improve the area.  There are certain cases where the patient may have enlarged digastric muscles that would need to be trimmed to provide a flatter contour.

Timothy R. Miller, MD