Are the newer breastlifts/reductions, "ultimate breast lift" "laser bra", truly better than regular breast lifts and reductions?

I've been doing my research on breast reductions and lifts, and I'm so confused and indecisive as to what to do. Travel for these new and better procedures or stay close to home and get the regular old school method. It's much more expensive for the upgraded versions and I'd like to know if the results truly last longer and if there is less scarring, prettier outcome. The price ends up being about 3-4x the basic procedure cost when you go with the newer advanced techniques and add travel.

Laser breast lifts

I am a newer generation surgeon with older generation ideas about these types of questions. It is impossible to keep up with the plethora of new terminology or marketing spin that people are putting on their procedures to make them seem like the newest and greatest thing.

Of course, progress and innovation are always welcome when proven through time and reliability.

You know that the basics work, so my advice is to ignore all of the fancy words that people put on various procedures. Your basic goals in a breast lift or reduction is to get a well shaped breast that is symmetrical, the size you want with as little scar as possible. Not everyone will get to that goal with the same operation since every body is different.

The way that you know you will get to that goal is to find a surgeon who is particularly skilled in procedures of the breast and look at his/her work. If you like the work that you see in before and after pictures, you know that surgeon does good work. The more pictures, the better. Look at a few surgeons and compare. You may find that your taste matches better with one person than another. After all, aesthetics is a very subjective thing.

Forget the gimmicks....go for results. People who need gimmicks to sell their wares often do not have the quality of product that will sell itself.

Good luck!! I hope this helps!

New Haven General Surgeon

Those who tout the best techniques

should be able to back it up with a money back guarantee. Otherwise its must more marketing hype and no better long term results. Surgeons employ a variety of methods to reduce or lift a breast. Many have theoretical benefits such as a vertical reduction over the standard anchor technique and a superior pedicle over an inferior pedicle. Regardless, if someone is guaranteeing you will not lose sensation on your nipple and that their technique will achieve the goal you seek, I would go to them myself, but I would get everything promised in writing and a money back guarantee.

Curtis Wong, MD

Newest fads and other gimmicks

Hello 'anon3100', thanks for your question. Beware of the 'latest and greatest' procedures because chances are if it is too good to be true, it usually is. These catchy phrases are usually offered by shady practitioners or cosmetic 'chop-shops' who try to hide behind flashy, unsubstantiated marketing claims in order to confuse the public. Your safety should be the number one concern, and for that reason, it is critical to seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon located near you so that you can go for frequent followups and have them be available in case there are any complications or issues. The last thing you want to do is pay extra to go far away to have a procedure done by a practitioner with questionable credentials. Stick with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is fully trained in the time-tested techniques of plastic surgery, with results that have been validated by numerous research studies and clinical trials. Good luck!

Breast lifts

These names of procedures are trademarked or marketed names by some surgeons. Be cautious about this and do your homework. Good luck with your decision to go ahead with surgery.

Laser breast lift

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Some of the stuff that you are referring to sounds almost fantastical - beware of these new procedures that have no scientific merit or peer review! Best of luck.

"Newer" breast reductions

There are so many gimmicks out there and many patients are susceptible to them. The only viable breast reduction is the classic technique. When you read about minimal scar reduction, frankly, this means to me that the patient needs a minimal reduction and not the classic operation. In terms of lifts, yes, there are a variety of techniques and the "secret" is that not all breasts are the same and that the operation has to be tailored to your situation. Many patients are scar-obsessed whereas you really have to take shape and size into account first and foremost.

Is the newest and greatest the best?

Terms like "laser bra" or "ultimate breast lift" are typically just marketing. By making you, the consumer, believe that these physicians offer the best and latest, they get you in the door. I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your questions with him or her. Surgical techniques for breast lifts and reductions have withstood the test of time and scientific research. Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

The ultimate breast lift

Very often the 'newer' breast lift techniques are a marketing scenario rather than meaningful advances in the technique. We like to stay with procedures that are reviewed by the surgical community and recognised as effective and lasting. Information today travels very quickly, and if there is a truly better technique the surgeons in your area will likely know all about it.

The Ultimate Breast Lift is a proprietary technique

Dear anon3100, Thank you for your question and allow me to clarify. The majority of new techniques in plastic surgery are modifications of existing techniques. Instead of modification, I decided to approach mastopexy and reduction surgery as mechanical failure. The best solution was to redesign the breast with increased mechanincal strength to oppose gravity. The dermis of the skin, contracting muscle and bone are the only tissue in the body that have mechanical strength. Bone cannot be used in the breast since it is hard and would feel unnatural. However, dermis could be used as an internal bra elevating and reshaping the breast to achieve projection. The internal bra in conjunction with weight transfer to the underlying muscles provide long term support. The external skin envelope is not the only structure providing support in the UBL technique. By transferring the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle, active contracture of the muscle maintains elevation. Recent increased knowledge of the blood and nerve supply to the nipples and breasts allows the UBL to maintain nippple sensitivity and breast feeding.The breast size can be maintained or reduced to the patient's desire using this technique. No vertical incisions are required (despite breast size) and the incisions are hidden at the areola skin junction or in the shadow of the breast near the inframammary fold. In the past, breast implants were a necessary evil to increase upper pole fullness. As a result, breast implants stretch the vertical scar and cause the implant to 'bottom out' making another lift necessary. With the UBL technique a patient can enjoy implant maintenance freedom.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon