Has anyone used Thermiva for vaginal rejuvenation where mesh is involved?

About 6-7 years ago, my doctor put "a kink" in my urethra, using vaginal mesh. Since then, I have gone through menopause & have thinning of the vaginal lining. This has resulted in painful intercourse for me and for my husband. I attended an informational meeting about Thermiva. This doctor had not heard of anyone using Thermiva in this situation and therefore, he was unable to make an educated guess about my possible result.

Mesh repair

A previous mesh repair, assuming that  it has all healed is not a contraindication for the treatment. Ive done ThermiVA on patients who have had complex pelvic surgeries and have had no issues. A good understanding of anatomy and an exam is important. I'm assuming you are healed and are now going through menopause.

ThermiVA can definitely help you improve the lining through improved blood supply, collagen remodeling and making the lining healthy  so that you can enjoy sex again. 

Thermiva should not "Mesh" things up.

Vaginal rejuvenation with ThermiVa has been used with patients previously treated with mesh.

Check out this quick video to learn even more things ThermiVa can to to improve vaginal function and form and improve your confidence.  Please reserve a consultation to discuss this and any other questions with the provider.

Hope to see you soon...

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am not sure of what is meant by "kink". If there were any complications associated with the procedure than this would need to be addressed first. Otherwise, assuming that you only suffer from vaginal dryness than we have great success with ThermiVa improving vaginal lubrication especially in our patients that suffer from pain due to vaginal dryness.  Best wishes.

You can do it

ThermiVA works by heating up the tissue of the vagina and stimulating collagen formation, which both tightens the vagina and improves atrophy.   While we do not have long term data on the use of Thermiva in the setting of vaginal mesh, there is no reason to believe it would be harmful to do so.  

You mention that you have painful intercourse.  If the pain is from atrophy of the vagina, there is a very good chance that Thermiva will be helpful for you.  If the pain is directly related to the mesh, it may be less helpful.

ThermiVa after Vaginal Mesh?

Great question - thank you!  I will try to restrain myself, but I have a lot to say on the subject.  In my opinion, vaginal mesh is getting a horrible rap right now that is unjustified.  Yes, there can be complications, just the same as with ANY surgical procedure, but the reason these mesh products have gained in popularity is because they work and they provide long-lasting results whereas non-mesh procedures of the past have had a fairly high failure rate.  (I'll get off my soapbox now, but I could go on more.)

So, to answer your question, yes, ThermiVa can be used after a mesh procedure and should still result in benefits of improved urinary incontinence symptoms, improved vaginal secretions, healthier, "rejuvenated" tissue, and decreased pain with intercourse.  One word of caution, however, before proceeding:  make sure to see a gynecologist (preferably the one who did your procedure or at least one who does mesh procedures) and get a good examination, because the mesh material can be exposed and that could be the cause of the pain.  That should be definitively ruled out before you embark on treatments with ThermiVa.  I hope that helps!  Please write back and keep us posted on your progress; I'm sure many would be interested in your experiences.

The better question would be to ask why anyone would have a ThermiVa treatment? Mona Lisa Touch and Femi Lift by Alma are both fractional CO2 laser devices. They are equally effective and produce excellent results. We have Femi Lift in our practice.

ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have not seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI. Lastly many have posted that ThermiVa is a "newer" technology. That is just patently untrue. Fractional CO2 laser technology was first used clinically in the early 2000's. Radio frequency has been in use since the 1980's and the external application (like ThermiVa) was how RF was first used. People, do your homework and do not trust those who are untruthful!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon