Is my mole suspicious? (photos)

I noticed the mole on my scalp a few years ago. Yesterday my head became tender and painful on the right side and when I checked my mole, it wasn't brown like usual. I can't tell what exactly is wrong. What could it be?

Changing mole on scalp

It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, but since your mole has been changing, you should be safe and have all your moles carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole on your scalp using a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon