Implants shifted into my armpits? (photos)

I recently got implant about 5 months ago and they have completely shifted to the sides and I'm scared they're bottoming out. What do I need to do to fix this?

Not a Straightforward Case

Dear wavves23,
Yours is not a straightforward case. I agree that your implants do look lateral on your chest, but in fact, your nipple areolae are also lateral on your chest. The proper position for the implants is to be centered under the nipple, and yours are roughly speaking. Your implants do not look like they have bottomed out. If it is really objectionable to you then you will need to do a new game plan and consider a breast lift in which the nipple areolae are moved more medially rather than straight up. This would also tighten the lower pole of the breasts. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Surgery will fix this issue

You will need another surgery to fix this issue. See your surgeon. Corrective surgery for this issue is multifaceted. It can not be properly explaned in this internet format.  Your surgeon will be able to explain all the necessary steps needed to fix this condition. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Scared of bottoming out and implant shifting

I'd recommend you return to your surgeon for an exam and opinion on whether you have any type of displacement. He/she can make recommendations on what is best.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implants shifted to armpits

Thanks for your question and photos.  Based on your photographs, your implants seem to be properly positioned directly behind your nipples and your natural crease looks even.  Best to follow-up with your PS to discuss your result.  Best of luck.

Implants shifted into my armpits?

Thank you for your question.  To address lateral displacement, an implant pocket revision with lateral capsulorrhapy can be performed.  A breast lift (mastopexy) can help tighten your breasts / lower pole.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Implants shifted into my armpits?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing after breast augmentation surgery. Based on your description and pictures, it seems like you are experiencing a breast implant displacement problem.
Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline. Doing so will prevent the breast implants from migrating to the sides when you lie down and will help centralize the position on the breast mounds. In my practice, this repair is done with a 2 layered suture technique. The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary) especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.
I hope this (and the attached link) helps. Best wishes.

Implant position

It looks like your implants are a bit lateral, but I think that is how your breasts "fall"  The areola are in the middle of the implant.

You have laterally positioned nipples

and if you want your distance between the mounds diminished, you will get 'fish eye' nipples that point sideways.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see if there are any suitable and acceptable solutions for you to consider.  You are not bottoming out from your photos.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implants shifted into my armpits

Thank you for your question. Physical examination needed to determine the real shift of implants. If they are too much shifted, revision surgery can be performed to fix it. Please talk to your surgeon.

Implants shifted into my armpits for?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  It appears that your implant pocket has stretched too far out to the side allowing your implants to slide off of your chest wall more than they should.  Repair would take revision surgery to close off this pocket so that the implants stay closer to the middle of your chest.  Hope this helps.