How old is too old to be considered for a tummy tuck with muscle repair?

I am 65 and in good health I am 5 ft tall 150 lbs and most of it is overhanging belly

What age is too old for Tummy Tuck

Being a candidate for surgery is much more related to your general overall health than to your age.  Your surgeon will want to know your past medical/surgical history, as well as perform a physical examination, and would base the decision of whether you are a good surgical candidate or not on that information. Dr. B.

Too old for a tummy tuck?

Your health is more important then your age.  As long as your in good health you should be able to have a tummy tuck. 

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Age is not a factor for a tummy tuck.

Age is not a factor when considering a tummy tuck. Overall health is the main concern. COnsult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a full assessment. 

Thank you for your question. Age is not a contraindication for surgery. What matters is your overall health. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

While age is a factor, your overall health is most important. If you're in good health, no diabetes, don't smoke and make a reasonable attempt to maintain your weight, then most likely you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck. Ask your primary care doctor is he/she thinks you are healthy enough for a elective general anesthetic. I've certainly done tummy tucks in patients your age and older, but I'm selective in who I will choose to perform the procedure.

Your age is certainly not a contraindication to having a tummy tuck. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with a tummy tuck.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Age and Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question regarding tummy tuck surgery and age.  As long as you are healthy and close to your ideal weight you are most likely a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to begin finding out what options are best for you.

Best wishes!
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

How old is too old?

Being 65 is not a reason in and of itself to NOT do a tummy tuck....we want to see and examine you first to make sure you are ok and identify any problems.

And I recommend Exparel to help with your postop pain.

Good luck!

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

How Old is Too Old for Tummy tuck?

Health is more of a factor than age. I have several patients that have had a tummy tuck in their 70's and have done very well. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will be able to determine if you are a good candidate. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD