4 months Mommy Makeover. Suggestions for weight loss?

4 months post op and I am getting worried. I am 5'1 and 180. Clearly I didn't get to an ideal goal weight before my surgery. But, I know I can drop more weight. I have such low energy that it is hard to get back into working out, which really just consist of walking and yoga. I don't want to blow up in my upper or lower body. Please any suggestions? I do wish my doctor would have stressed weight loss more, or that I would have researched more on my own. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and questions. I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult to find the motivation after such a large surgery to resume your former level of activity.  It can be a slippery slope for many as the drive wanes during the healing process.   If you wish to maximize your results by losing additional weight the safest way is by resuming a healthy lifestyle of diet and exercise.  Perhaps incorporating a gym membership, nutritionalist, or trainer can add accountability for several weeks to months, or at least until you have the desire to do it on your own.  Hope this helps. 

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

A healthy lifestyle is always encouraged and welcomed.

Post surgery, you should follow the plan laid out to you by your surgeon to avoid negatively affecting your results. 

Be very clear with your surgeon about your weight loss goals. 

It is all about designing the perfect plan for You.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Swelling and weight loss after tummy tuck surgery

I always advise patients to be as close as possible to their goal weight prior to surgery as any fluctuations in weight can affect the results of surgery.  Just as its important to recognise that tummy tuck surgery is not a weight loss tool. Swelling after tummy tuck surgery can last for many many months and its not uncommon to notice fluctuations in your weight throughout the day.  Most patients feel more swollen in the evenings after a day of movement.  You should start easing back into your regular routine, start of with walking and increase your level of intensity each week.  Once you start to see an improvement in your weight and energy levels you will feel much better.

Mommy Makeover - Post Op For Weight Maintenance / Loss

Thank you for your question.  It is extremely important to maintain your weight post-operatively to ensure you have optimal results. I would suggest meeting with your primary care physician to discuss your "low energy level". It may be as simple as correcting a low thyroid hormone level. Also, continue to exercise several times per week and eat a healthy, high protein diet. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you for your questions.  As you stated, it is important to maintain your goal weight before and after surgery for optimal results.  Finding and maintaining motivation can be difficult.  I recommend finding an exercise group/class for some competition which often inspires people to keep going.  As far as your energy levels, you might consider an examination by your family doctor and a hormone level screening by a hormone specialist.  Often times, your hormone levels may be "normal" on lab tests, but not necessarily optimized or normal for YOU.  A hormone specialist can help with optimization.  Hope this helps.