I am 40 days post op on tummy tuck, had two spots open and now they are much larger. This does not seem normal to me? (Photo)

The outer wounds are from the drains. The wound on my left was healing well but then it seems like it stopped, on my right it was healing but now seems to have opened up further. The two wounds in the middle have definetly increased in size and by the picture i look more swollen. I take 800 mg of motrin every 4-6 hours, what else can i do? To me it appears i need to be restitched up. I have a post op appt tomorrow morning but i am nervous.

Open Spots at 40 Days Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Considering the healing and settling of the incisions it would always be best to visit directly with your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that healing is progressing as it should. Follow-up appointments can help keep the healing process going well, and make sure whether or not additional treatment is necessary. Good luck.

Open Spots at 40 Days Post-Op

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wound After Tummy Tuck

I'm sorry this happened to you.  The important thing is that continue close follow-up with your surgeon with good wound care, and this should heal up.  Any attempt at stitching up should only be done when the tissues are clean, healthy, and free of infection.  Typically, surgeons will have patients do wound care until completely healed, and then do a simple scar revision at a later time.  Again, please continue to follow closely with your surgeon.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Wound After Tummy Tuck

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Wounds after an abdominoplasty

You have some areas of wound separation or necrosis. Often local wound care can help heal the area.  Best of luck.

Wounds after an abdominoplasty

Wound after TT

Thank you for your question. At this moment you need a good local wound care. Please see your PS and follow instructions. Most of these will heal fine with time.

Wound after TT

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To reduce the swelling, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling , some advices:

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD