Midface Plus Tear Trough, Submalar Combo, or Filler? (photo)

Mid 40's, I had malar implants removed 7 months ago, were showing thru under super-thin skin. I want to make sure I choose best option for my facial structure. Have consulted with 3 certified surgeons. Primary complaints: tear trough shadows, lack of volume, lack of structure. Would like tear trough implants, but am wary of midface lift recovery / appearing alien-like. For malar/sub-malar, am wary of adding more lateral projection to already high cheekbones. Filler OK, except puffy & cost.

Doctor Answers 3

Malar implants removed 7 months ago, wary of mid face lift recovery and alien appearance.

It's not uncommon for the cheeks to thin out with aging.  Having the malar implants removed has obviously also contributed to an overall loss of volume in that area.  I have performed many Cheek Augmentations with Cheek Implants for over 25 years and in your particular case, I do not believe that you have to return to cheek implants as an option just yet.

I'd suggest trying a filler (I prefer Perlane that flows better than Radiesse in my opinion) to shape your cheeks in the proper aesthetic manner for a man's face.  You are right to be concerned about the appearance after a mid face facelift as this procedure does lift the corners of the mouth and eyebrows.  Far better to have a minimal incision facelift is you want to remove the appearance of the jowls at this point.  Hope this helps.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Filler Customizable for Facial Augmentation

Filler is a great choice in the cheeks. Radiesse works well and is very customizable.  It can be placed specifically where you need it without the anatomical constraints of implants.  This would be a very good solution to your concerns. All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

Deflated cheeks after removal of poorly placed implants.

Proper placement of combinationalar submalar implants is best for you to restore volume. This can be done by an experienced surgeon to give a natural result. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.