ThermiVa for me? 39, 3 children, s/p Breast cancer ER+, PR+, partial hysterectomy and tamoxifen therapy.

We resumed intercourse 3 weeks ago and he says it feels like something is missing. I had a huge fibroid 10cm sitting in my sacrum, that's why I had the hysterectomy. I'm uncomfortable during intercourse at times, but still enjoy it. He on the other hand has been having issues with maintaining an erection. I'm sad and feel worthless and empty not being able to please him. We've been together for 7 years and had a great sex life up until now. Is this procedure going to help or even appropriate?

Great candidate to try ThermiVA

Hello and thank you for sharing your experience.

With a history of multiple children and anti-estrogen therapy you would most likely benefit from trying a series of 3 ThermiVA treatments. The technology is designed to tighten the tissues of external and internal genitalia by use of controlled heating. The benefits range from tightening of tissues and promoting moisture production to possibly improving arousal and mild urinary leakage.

Seek an evaluation from a reputable practitioner in your area who offers ThermiVA to discuss how it could benefit you.

It Should Help!

ThermiVa is basically a no-risk, pain-free, 30-minute procedure that effectively improves ALL functions of the vaginal lining tissue: blood flow, nerve sensation, moisture production, pelvic support, which improves mild-moderate urinary incontinence and vaginal prolapse.  All that will help, but it does not address your husband's ED, nor any hormonal changes you may be having as well.  For that, I would encourage seeking the advice of a specialist in bio-identical hormones and anti-aging medicine.  See link below for more information and a physician-locater.

ThermiVa for a 39, 3 children, s/p Breast cancer ER+, PR+, partial hysterectomy and tamoxifen therapy patient

I believe ThermiVa  is a true breakthrough for women who have had breast cancer and resulting dryness and irritation due to lack of moisture which often occurs. Moisture and lubrication can improve significantly after just one treatment and the vaginal tightening that may occur  is a second significant  benefit. Many of my patient's partners have commented that they have noticed a significant difference during intercourse as a result of increased vaginal tightening.  

Greta Mclaren, MD
Greenwood Village Physician

After chemo for breast Ca, sex isn't what it used to be

Thermiva is a low risk, no downtime, comfortable procedure to help with dryness, atrophy, laxity, urinary incontinence, and orgasmic dysfunction. It is done in a series of 3 treatments. It's satisfaction rate is very high and has a rating on Realself in the high 90's. other measures to address the listed above problems are much more involved and have higher risks and downtime. I would try Thermiva. There's really no downside to it. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Excellent candidate for ThermiVa

Thank you for sharing your story.

based on what you have described, I believe you are an excellent candidate for the ThermiVa procedure.

We have treated very successfully many women with vaginal dryness due to  tamoxifen therapy with excellent results. As for your husband, there are many treatment options available for erectile dysfunction. He should deftly seek the advice of a urologist.

Thermi Va vs Vaginaplasty

I am sorry to hear the problem you and your husband are having after your hysterectomy. It is normal for there to be anxiety and sexual issues after significant pelvic surgery for both partners.  Perhaps the large fibroid was compressing the vagina creating a tighter sensation for your partner. It is only 3 weeks since the surgery and healing is still taking place. Thermi Va could help increase the circulation to the vagina and aid in tightening the surrounding muscular fascia. If after 6 months and 3 Thermi Va treatments the laxity persists, surgical options such as vaginoplasty may be considered.

If the erectile issue continues, your husband should be evaluated by a urologist.

Christine Hamori, MD

FemiLift and ThermiVa Sex Life Tune-Ups are great options for breast cancer survivors on tamoxifen or other anti-estrogens

If the vagina is dry and atrophic, laser resurfacing and/or thermiva rf will nicely restore lubrication and elasticity and make sex more comfortable. If your husband has erectile dysfunction, he should see his urologist as there are many excellent treatments for ED.

ThermiVa

Thank you for you question. Sorry to hear about your issues. Given the info you provided, you should be very good candidate for ThermiVa treatment. I would encourage you to try it. We see good results very quickly after the treatment. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Thermiva after Breast Cancer and three children?

Before I answer this specific question let me advise you to consider genetic testing for genetically inherited breast cancer.  This is the BRCA testing performed by myriad genetics.  You are young and if your have a female relative with breast cancer certainly need the testing.  This will influence not only the monitoring of your breasts but also will influence whether you should have your ovaries removed at some point.

I am sorry you are having problems with your sex life after the hysterectomy.   A thermiva treatment regimen can be considered.  It is very safe and for some patients makes a huge difference.  Before I would recommend this I would advise you to get an examination by your gynecologist or by a urogynecologist/FPMRS (who specializes in vaginal reconstruction) assuming you had vaginal deliveries.  Women with pelvic organ prolapse or dropping of their pelvic organs don't have the same kind of results with thermiva as those who don't.   That said, we have performed hundreds of thermivas for the right patient and have seen wonderful improvement in their symptoms.   

ThermiVa

The issues that you describe are experienced by many couples.  This is not to diminish the challenges that you have listed above.  It is only to say that even lesser life events can cause what you are experiencing.  ThermiVa can change both the physical appearance and functionality of the vaginal area.  The question that I cannot answer is whether the degree of physical change that you experience after the usual 3 initial treatments will address the sadness that you expressed.  Again, this is not to sound over-simplistic, but is merely to suggest that we must delineate between effecting a physical change and effecting the degree of wellness that addresses your entire situation.  Sometimes, the physical change can be the catalyst for healing this delicate situation.

David Owers, MD
Vancouver Physician