Is this what my belly button is supposed to look like post Tummy tuck? Will it heal normal? Could a revision help? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck about five weeks ago and I kept expecting my belly button to get better with time but I can't imagine how it can. The scar is so big, it's like a giant circle around the outside of my belly button. Is this an expected result? I don't know why the photos are flipping when I upload them, sorry about that.

Is this what my belly button is supposed to look like post Tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question.  You are not alone; many patients are very concerned about the postoperative appearance of their umbilicus. Ultimately, the appearance of your umbilicus will be largely dependent on the technical skill and the aesthetic sense of your chosen plastic surgery. This is one of the many reasons why selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decisions you make.  Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably see/talk to patients who your prospective  plastic surgeon has helped in the past.

Understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. Ifit is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus.

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps.

Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question. I would suggest being patient before judging the results of your procedure. The healing process is still taking place and your belly button/scars should improve in appearance overtime. Wait a couple months before speaking with your surgeon about possible correction.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Tummy tuck revision

Thank you for your question and posting pictures. Your are still in your early healing period. I suggest following instructions of your plastic surgeon until at least three months after surgery and if it's still a concern at that time to consider a revision.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Belly button after tummy tuck

Be patient.   Your result looks normal for this stage of your post operative recovery.  Its too early to determine what your final result will look like but you can expect further healing and improvement over the next 12 to 18 months as the scar goes through the maturation stage.

Revision?

Hi there. It is much too early to consider a revision of your belly button. The oval ellipse is consider by many standards to be the most attractive. As your scar fades it may look better. Some surgeons will see the belly button down to the abdominal wall so that the stars are much less visible. Hope this helps. 

Dr. Burnett

Belly button appearance after abdominoplasty

Based on your photo and history the belly button scar appears well within normal.  I suspect that with time it will look better, but you are right in the time frame where scarring can worsen.  I would speak to your PS about scar management, maybe consider Biocorneum or silicone sheeting.

Post Op Belly Button

It is certainly too early to determine what the final belly button will look like. Obviously the "best" result will depend on what things looked like before the tummy tuck, how the belly button was handled during the procedure and how the patient heals after the procedure.
The acceptability of the final result depends on the opinion and the expectation of the patient. 
You should check with your surgeon to see photos of his tummy tuck patients to see what the final result might look like. I think most plastic surgeons have results that look "fantastic" and rfesults that look just OK.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Normal Scar Appearance Immediately Post Tummy Tuck?

Thanks for posting your question.....a valid concern. Hang in there. You're only 5 weeks post-op. Everything looks swollen, puffy and exaggerated this early on. Scars mature over 12 full months, but the most notable changes take place in the first 6 months. The redness will fade. The position and the size of the scar however isn't likely to change.

I'd recommend discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon. An umbilical revision is possible, but waiting at least 6 months is advisable. If at that time you're still displeased, consider having the scar revised. Follow your surgeon's post-op instructions and be patient. You've undoubtedly come a long way and things should continue to improve. 

Jonathan R. Fugo, DO
Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button

Thank you for your question. I think that overall your belly button looks ok. It has a nice oblong vertical shape. The redness should resolve with normal healing. This can take 6-12 months. Ideally, the position of the scar should be on the inside of the belly button so that it is less visible when being viewed from the front. The scar position can be difficult to control. You may be a candidate for a revision, but should wait 6-12 months before considering it. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. Good luck. 

Post op

Hello, thanks for the pictures. 

well its a recent procedure, normally we expect changes up to 3 - 6 months, be patient. 

every doctor has he's technique so if any doubt contact your surgeon he should explain what you should expect in the following weeks after the procedure. 

good luck!

Eduardo Mejia, MD