Is there a correlation between going back to work and nose swelling up?

Hello, I am 12 days post op and my nose is more swollen than before. For about 3 days following my cast removal my nose had very little swelling. Now that I've started working and regular daily activities again, my nose is swollen, stuffy and much more uneven than it was before. I was really ecstatic with how my nose looked before, but now not as much. So, is there any correlation between go back to work and the nose swelling up? Thank you for reading and answering my question.

Nasal swelling

The nose usually swells a lot after the splint is removed. It will increase with activity as well.  It can take a year or longer for all the swelling to subside.

Recommend Following up with your surgeon

This is completely normal.  The cast keeps the swelling in control and once removed, there is always a slight rebound swelling.  I recommend patience and to follow up with your surgeon at all scheduled to discuss the healing process.  It will take a few weeks for the majority of swelling to come down and up to 1 year for the final result.  Best of luck. 

Karan Dhir, MD

Post Surgical Swelling

Hello,This is a good question that is commonly asked in my practice.  Yes, it's absolutely normal to have variable, intermittent swelling when the splints are removed after rhinoplasty.  The swelling fluctuates at different times of day (can increase with activity) and is usually asymmetrical.  The nose will look deviated and asymmetric until the swelling subsides.  If you liked your nose when the splints came off, you are very likely to like your appearance again when the swelling subsides.  At fourteen days post op, there is roughly 20% of the swelling still present.  The same rules generally apply for the inside of the nose as well.  Your surgeon can reassure you regarding these issues the next time you see him.Regards,

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon