Necrosis revisited? Ever able to outrun?? (photos)

I had surgery 11/25/15. By the time I got home I had already developed blackening which became full thickness necrosis. Underwent many debridements, Had open wound to pack daily starting with dakins and then to nac1. Wound VAX, etc. finally closed the wound and this is day 5. Incision below umbilicus already showing necrotic signs. Horrified to go down this road again. Was a smoker before initial surgery date. quit. Been tested. Will this ever heal normally? Using nitro bid horrible headache.

Necrosis revisited? Ever able to outrun??

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. I'm sure this has been a very long road for you. If I understand the situation correctly, you have undergone revisionary surgery based on the photograph. The photograph of your current situation demonstrates a nicely healing incision line. In other words, you may have "outrun" the risk of necrosis. Of course, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Tummy tuck necrosis - what can I do now?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck complication.
  • I am so sorry you had this very serious complication.
  • This can't be managed on-line but please have your surgeon refer you to a wound healing specialist for possible hyperbarix oxygen, obtain wound cultures and have you evaluated by an internist for hypercoagulability.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Sorry for your series of serious wound complications. But you need only in person opinions. Maybe hyperbaric O2 chamber concepts. 

Necrosis revisited

Thank you for your inquiry and the photos.  The necrosis that developed initially is certainly a risk of the TT procedure especially in smokers.  Since the area went on to heal after the debridements and would care, it is appropriate to revise the area, as was done.  You didn't mention how long it had been completely healed before the revision.  I personally would wait at least 2-3 months from the time the wound was healed before revising it just to allow the tissues to recover.

I suggest you follow up closely with your treating Plastic Surgeon and hopefully the areas will heal appropriately.

John J Obi, MD

John J. Obi, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis post tummy

This is for sure the result of in most cases smoking.Even when someone stops there are long term effects that remain.Perhaps you should also be checked for diabetes since this too can lead to poor wound healing.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Vascular compromise and wound after TT

you are showing evidence of vascular compromise to your lower abdominal skin. This is definitely a side effect of TT surgery. At this point you have to do wound care and let it heal. You will need revision in the future. Please see link below to get your cheat sheet, "7 keys to a great tummy tuck".

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Necrosis Revisited

Thank you for your pictures.  I am sorry for your issues.  It would a bit unusual for this area to become necrotic again.  The best that can be done is for the doctor to be observant and to continue to manage this conservatively for now.  Best wishes.