Will chest presses and push ups cause implants to sag?

I had breast augmentation back in February and was wondering if I will ever be able to train chest again. I had 500 cc round implants placed under the muscle and my biggest fear is sagging. My surgeon advised me to stay away from any chest excersises. I've lost most of my upper body strentgh and I'm concerned with developing muscular imbalance since I'm only training back, shoulders, bi's, tris.

Exercise shouldn’t make your breast implants sag.

You may want to schedule a follow up appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss his or her reasons for recommending that you avoid chest exercises. Once you are fully healed, you should be able to resume all of your normal activities, including chest exercises. Breasts sag because of gravity and a loss of elasticity in your skin and ligaments, not because of your exercise routine. Nor can exercise improve the position of your breasts and treat sagging. Still, there may be a specific reason why your plastic surgeon made the recommendation he or she did. Some may suggest it as an empiric (unproven) way to avoid the possibility.

Chest workout after augmentation

The short answer is "no".  Muscle development of the chest usually makes for an even, overall better look with a behind-the-muscle implant.  However, if your exercise regimen overall is geared toward a leaner look and you are intentionally trying to drive your body fat % down, this can decrease the fat in the breasts as well, causing them to lose some volume and deflate a bit.  That will tend to lead toward a more saggy look.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Chest training after breast implants

In my practice where I routinely place implants under the muscle I recommend women wait approximately 1 month prior to restarting any exercising or training that they are accustom to. I counsel them to take a full month to work back to the level they were before surgery, so at 2 months I have found it to not be detrimental to your results. Sagging after breast augmentation is rarely a result of the implant but more a function of aging, weight changes, as well as hormonal issues such as pregnancy or menopause.

Eric E. Wegener, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Post breasts augmentation exercise

Dear jmn ,                                                                                                                         Congratulation on your breasts augmentation surgery . Every surgeon has a different approach to post operative exercise instruction. In my practice, I limit my patients activity for one month after breasts augmentation surgery. Beyond that period of time, they can exercise as they wish.                                                                                                                                        As far as your concern about breasts sagging , the best method to prevent it from occurring, I instruct my patients to perform implants displacement massage for one years, which is the usual time that it takes for the scar (capsule) to mature and stop contracting. That scar contraction causes the breasts hardening and sagging due to the excessive rise of the fold . Feel free to contact my office and ask for the implants displacement massage instructions.                                                                                                                                                           All the best,                                                                                                                                                          Dr Widder                                                     

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. You will be restricted from exercises that use your pectoral muscles until you are fully recovered. Activities such as pull-ups, push-ups and weight lifting should not be commenced until your are fully healed. Best is to follow your chosen surgeon´s advice. Good luck!

Training and breast implants

Sorry for you.This is a major reason not to put implants under the muscle in people such as yourself who are interested in training. You do not want to cut your muscle. You do not want your breasts jumping around while you are working out. Your chest muscles flatten the implants and often push them apart and down. I suggest that you have them moved on top of the muscle and have a normal active liefstyle.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I can understand your concern.  Without knowing the full details of your procedure as to why your surgeon would tell you this I allow patients to resume their normal chest activity work approximately 6 weeks after surgery, assuming a smooth recovery.  There will be some implant displacement that takes place with chest specific exercises but if you keep to lower weights it will not materially affect your breast appearance long term.  Hope this helps.

Breast implants

I do not restrict my patients from working their chest at this point.  You are best to review this with your surgeon.  

Exercise after implants

Hello, your surgeon is the best source of advice regarding activity restrictions after surgery.  In my practice I generally don't restrict patients from doing chest exercises after they are fully healed, but perhaps your surgeon has observed problems or issues in the past.