How do I know the appropriate size of breast should I decide to get a reduction?

I'm currently 27 years old and after 3 children weight exactly 200 lbs. I'm 5'7" and my current bra size is right at a 39 DDD. Even at my absolute thinnest (120 lbs) I still wore a 34 D. My back and neck constantly hurt, and I struggle to sit up straight as I feel like my breasts pull me forward. What would be anice acceptable size for my current body type?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this procedure is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Best to achieve your long-term stable weight, if at all possible, prior to proceeding with surgery.

My advice for patients seeking breast reduction surgery: careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful preoperative communication are 2 keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as  "proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

The website link dedicated to breast reduction surgery as well as the video link below may be helpful as you continue to do research.

Best wishes for outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Size after reduction

Keep in mind, cup size is highly inaccurate and varies depending on the bra manufacturer.  As a result, speaking in terms of cup size leaves a lot of room for interpretation.  From a comfort standpoint, the more you reduce your breasts, the more neck and back pain relief you will achieve.  On the other hand, if you go too small, you may feel disproportionate in your clothes.  I would recommend that you look through before and after breast reduction photos on multiple surgeon's websites, and find someone with a similar body type to yours who has a result that you like from a shape and proportion standpoint.  This can then be used to demonstrate to your surgeon what your ideal goal appearance would be.  Everyone is different, and you cannot be matched exactly to another patient, but this at least makes sure that, visually, you and your surgeon are on the same page with regards to your target result.  I frequently tell my breast reduction patients "don't worry about cup size, just show me the look that you like and I will try to match you as closely to that appearance as possible".  You should also let your surgeon know if you are more worried about being too large or too small so he or she will know which way to lean during your procedure.  Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after Breast Reduction

Breast size after breast reduction surgery cannot be guaranteed, as all bras fit differently, and we need to leave some tissue behind so everything heals properly. Regardless, the results are dramatic. For your height, a smaller D cup that is higher and perky would probably be appropriate for your body. You are used to having curves and most women with large breasts wear smaller sized bras to hold them in.