Mole removal left indent scar on cheek. Any suggestions?

I had a mole removal about 3 years ago that left a 1" indented scar on my cheek. I recently tried having this filled with Voluma (that did nothing for the scar) and had 1 profractional treatment done about a month ago (dr said I would need 6 treatments) I'm starting to feel discouraged. I realize I traded the mole for a scar but was hoping it would not be so concaved and noticeable. Am I on the right track with the profractional or should I try something else? Please help!

Doctor Answers 1

Subcision Can Help To Elevate Indented Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
First, I am sorry that you are having this problem.
Subcision, a simple, relatively inexpensive and quick procedure, is an excellent means for elevating all kinds of depressed scars. I have been using this approach with gratifying results since 1994. 
Just last week, in fact, I treated a teenager who presented to me with the exact problem you describe, i.e. an indented scar left as a result of a mole removal three years earlier by another physician. I first injected very superficially a small amount of filler with excellent lifting capacity, Restylane Lyft, and followed this by performing a subcision at a slightly deeper level to break up the tethering scar collagen bands that are responsible for pulliing the overlying skin downward into the depression. The entire procedure took no more than five minutes to perform.
The results of this approach are typically immediate and gratifying and can be expected to improve further over the succeeding four to six weeks as new, more normal collagen is produced in response to both the subcision and to the secondary biostimulatory effects of the filler.
You would be wise to consult a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in all forms of scar treatments. Best of luck.   

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.