Breasts and nipple sizes are uneven 7 weeks post op. Should I be concerned? (photo)

I'm 5'3", 125 lbs and got submuscular, cohesive gel implants (500cc) 7 weeks ago. In the last week, I've noticed that the left breast seems to be fuller, and the nipple size appears larger. I know I should ask my PS about this recent development, but he's currently out of the country, and my next appointment isn't until 12-22-2016. I've included a picture for a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Is this normal at 7 weeks? Or should I be concerned?

Breasts and nipple sizes are uneven 7 weeks post op. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Unnevenness at 7 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Nipples and brest uneven 7 weks post BAM

HI Pat,

I can see that the nipples are a little uneven, but I would not be too concerned at this point. There does not appear to be any signs of infection or bleeding so I think that it would be fine to wait to see your plastic surgeon in a few weeks. In any case, he/she would not do anything now because the swelling has not yet gone down and the shape and size may change a bit in a few months.

Try not to do too much in terms of heavy activities. Rest, elevate your arms when you are home and the swelling should go down quicker.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast appearance

In the photo, they do not look significantly different. An exam in person would be essential. Even if your doctor is out of town he should have some one covering him in his absence if you find it urgent to see some one.

Thank you for your question.Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Best of luck!!

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast Asymmetry

Your photograph is not helpful, as are most selfies taken with a phone. There is too much distortion and angulation to make any solid observation. In your case though, it is clear that these implants are far larger than what would have been dictated by tissue based analysis, and your risk for an untoward outcome is much higher, including implant malposition, capsular contracture, rippling, asymmetries, and unpredictable tissue stretch. You still have a lot of drop and fluff yet, so hopefully things will improve. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation question

The best thing to do is to talk to your surgeon and see them for a visit. They will then be in a good position to answer your question. I do see the minor asymmetries that you are pointing out. Overall, I think that you have a decent symmetry match. This will also depend on how your breasts looked prior to the procedure. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

This is likely fine

can't say for sure without seeing your preop pictures but virtually certain this is fine.  You were likely asymmetric preop and the implants are magnifying that a bit.  It should be fine.  Your nipples are the central projecting part inside the areola.  Your areolas are the pigmented disks which you probably mean and are fine.  

Matthew H. Conrad, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Nipple asymmetry is common after breast augmentation and is usually the result of a slight asymmetry preop.  Please check your before photos to see if the left nipple is slightly larger than the right in the beginning.  Studies show that 55% of women have her nipple areola asymmetry.  Your result looks very good.