Uneven Areola and Breasts, will a Breast Augmentation fix this?

My left breast and areola is larger than my right Will a breast augmentation make both areola appear the same size or do I need to have a circumareolar lift as well?

Uneven Areola and Breasts, will a Breast Augmentation fix this

Greetings

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

NE breast asymmetry can be magnified or become more asymmetrical after breast implants in breast enlargement.  You may need a lift or reduction of the larger breast at the time of your breast augmentation.  It is important to address this with her plastic surgeon.  For more information please read the link on breast asymmetry below:

Uneven Areola

It would be helpful to see some photos. At times they may depending on the size of the implants. But in most cases a circumareolar lift may be needed.

Good luck

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs to demonstrate the asymmetry it is difficult to offer definite advice.  If for example your smaller breast has the smaller implant and will be receiving a larger implant than the larger starting breast side then this may narrow a small difference in size of areola.  If the differences are more significant/evident then a better approach would be through a breast lift/areola reduction procedure.  Hope this helps.

Uneven areola

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to evaluate best surgical procedure for you without a photograph or an in person consultation.  That being said, the areola can be reduced at the same time as a breast augmentation.  I wish you good luck.

BA and areola reduction

likely need to offset the size of the implants when performing the augmentation if there is a large difference in size, at the same time doing something to make the larger areola smaller to balance right to left makes the most sense. Seek some consultations and find a surgeon you like to perform your surgery. 

Breast augmentation

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination of your breasts done. At that point, the surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a breast augmentation. I believe you would benefit from a breast augmentation to correct the asymmetry that you have and add projection and volume. Some patients who display asymmetry benefit from placing two different sized implants to even them out. At my office, we use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view what your breasts would look like after a lift, or view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. In regards to your areolas, they should even out a little after the implants are placed but if it isn’t to your level of satisfaction you can consider an areola reduction on the larger one or areola tattooing to make the smaller one larger. Whichever the doctor and you decide would look most proportional for your breasts. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Essentially all women have asymmetry of their breast with one larger and one nipple areolar complex larger and lower

80% of women have a larger left breast with a larger and lower nipple areolar complex. The other 20% have the right breast larger with the nipple areolar complex larger and lower. As to the size difference this can be modified by using different size breast implants. This will make the size closer but not exact. The nipple areolar complex can be modified but usually the correction in not worth the scars that are necessary to move and change the nipple areolar complex. With significant drooping of the breast the asymmetry of the breast can be improved but that requires a much bigger operation, a mastopexy. This can be done with or with out a breast implant. A recent study showed that 100% of 1,500 women who under went breast surgery had asymmetry of their breast before surgery and 100% had asymmetry after surgery even though they were closer to symmetry. 

5

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Without posting photos my guess is an areolar reduction on the larger side with the implants??

Asymmetry before breast surgery

Thank you for your question.  No one is perfectly symmetric.  Any asymmetry present before surgery generally persist after surgery and is often more noticeable after a breast augmentation. A beast augmentation will make your breasts larger and will also stretch the nipple/areola making it larger as well.  The nipple/areola can be surgically made smaller to better match the other side but this would require an incision around the entire nipple.  It may or may not be necessary to lift the nipple to match the other side. A lift procdure (or mastopexy) generally entails additional incisions both around and below the nipple. Hope this helps and good luck. 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon