Treatment options for loose neck skin and weak jawline/profile on thin(ish) 33y/o woman- Surgery too extreme? (Photo)

I have never had a nice profile, my neck is connected to my chin, leaving my jaw undefined. Recently Ive noticed some very loose skin that looks terrible when I turn to the side or view from underneath. I'm worried that using lasers &non-invasive treatments will make a minimal impact & cost almost as much as surgery. However,being in my early 30's maybe my skin will respond better than an older candidate? I'm thinking if I get a neck lift now, I'll have better, lasting results?Is it too extreme?

Kybella is a good option

Kybella is a  non-surgical option for removing both large and small deposits of fat under the chin. Patients generally receive between two to six treatments of Kybella, depending on the amount of submental fat they have and their individual treatment goals. Treatments take about 20 minutes, and there is little to no downtime. I would look into this treatment as to avoid unnecessary surgery. Good luck!  Certainly other less invasive options are available.   A minimally invasive neck liposuction may do the trick given the young elasticity of your skin.   A visit with a board certified Plastic Surgeon would be able to recommend appropriate treatment plans.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. Your surgical solutions include a chin implant and a neck lift. While offered in conjunction, either of these surgeries can work to provide you your desired result. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift at 33?

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • I agree with your self-assessment that lasers and most non-surgical treatment are pointless.
  • You are thin and your platysma (neck muscle under the skin) is loose.
  • I suggest you try Botox injections into the platysma lines - this is an inexpensive office option.
  • If it is unsatisfactory, then a neck lift is your neck step.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Surgery too extreme?

Surgery would be extreme. It would be very wise to start with non-invasive treatments and reserve surgery only if those treatments fail.
I believe what you're looking for is to increase the sculpting (the sleekness) of your neck.  Your neck skin looks like it has nice elasticity, it just happens to be shrink-wrapping some anatomy that is distracting to you. What I notice most is platysmal banding (those cords of neck muscle that are standing out when you turn your head to the side). That is a straightforward fix: Botox temporarily weakens the natural tone of these muscles and causes them to relax and "lay down" even when your turn your neck.
If you have a small deposit of fat in the submentum (behind your chin) than Kybella is an injectable recently FDA-approved to permanently eliminate fat deposits in the neck. There is some evidence that it tightens the neck skin as well. Most patients seeking Kybella have large deposits of submental fat -- you do not. But it works on small fat deposits too. I have attached a video for more info. Surgical liposuction of the neck can achieve the same result, and the addition of a laser treatment of the undersurface of the neck skin during lipo can tighten the neck skin as well.  If you were considering surgery (like liposuction) than you may wish to consider platysmaplasty as well -- a surgical procedure where the bands in the neck are more definitively improved/removed.
I feel that traditional necklift would be unnecessarily aggressive for you -- you are young and your neck skin will redrape whatever is underneath of it, and in my opinion if your platysmal bands and submental fat were eliminated (with injectables or relatively minor surgery), you would get the results you're looking for without expensive and unnecessary surgery.
Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida
Vanderbilt-trained Facial Plastic Surgeon

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift, Botox

It is possible that initial treatment of neck muscle bands with Botox-like preparations will give you desired improvement. I would start with this modality first before considering neck tightening by means of neck lift.  Clinical evaluation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in face-neck lift surgery would help. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening is good option when minimal excess tissue is present

Hi and thanks for the photos.  While an in-person consultation is necessary to know for sure, you appear to be a good candidate for radiofrequency microneedling with the Profound system. A single treatment under local anesthesia can create significant skin tightening and lifted appearance. You probably don't have enough excess skin for a surgical neck lift (e.g. may end up with widened scars that are under tension from removing tissue that is not really extra).  Keep in mind that we all need some extra tissue to permit changes in head & neck position.  Also, if you have "never had" extremes of definition, it may not be possible for any surgery or nonsurgical treatment to overcome your natural anatomy.  Best wishes,

Loose Neck Skin in 33 Year Old Lady

Based soely on these pictures I think the most dramatic significant improvement can be achieved with a neck lift including a platymaplasty to tighten  the  muscle under your chin. Having said that your options will be discussed during a consultation with an experienced board certified facial cosmetic surgeon.

Treatment options for loose neck skin and weak jawline/profile on thin(ish) 33y/o woman

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is some excess skin below the chin.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a "double chin".  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery combined with some removal of excess skin from below the chin using the same incision used for chin implant placement.

Hope this helps.

Neck definition

Many factors contribute to the neck definition.  In a young person of normal weight these factors are largely inherited and thus change is difficult.  A variety of treatments have been used to alter the neck shape including liposuction, radio frequency (ThermiTight), chemodissolution such as Kybella and even surgery, the anatomy is frequently the limiting factor.  I would advise against treating the neck in this patient because the need does not outweigh the risks and disadvantages.

Richard O. Gregory, MD